Logo

Alpha Shift Cable Leak

captngoderich

"I have been getting a very sm

"I have been getting a very small amount of water in the bilge. Took the outdrive off today and found a bit of water in the gimbal cavity by the shift cable. The bellows and everything are fairly new. Question I would really appreciate some help on ... The brass locknut on the shift cable is out about 2 full threads from the housiing, should it be tight to the housiing?
No water appears to have been in the coupler bellows and the gimbal bearing looks good and turns good. Clamps on the shift bellows look tight but I'll retighten them just in case.
Thanks for any and all advice.
Safe Boating!!"

"check the clamps on the drive

"check the clamps on the drive shaft/coupler bellows too. Brass lock nut? on the shift cable bracket or on the gimbal housing? if the gimbal housing yes, should be snug/tight not over tightened, you'll need to re-adjust your lower shift cable on the cable bracket though."

"The brass nut is fine. Leave

"The brass nut is fine. Leave it alone!!!!

A small leak could be comming from a screw hole in the transom???

The water in the gimbal cavity is probably there from the water input and leaked when the drive was removed. See the hole with the o-ring around it, looking strait at it and to the left?

Check your exhaust stainless steel clamps at the rubber (3-4 inch diameter) boot(s) that connect the exhaust manifold(s) to the Rams horns)

Let us know......"

"Thanks for the advice, really

"Thanks for the advice, really appreciate Kghost words. Been through everything in the outdrive, all looks as new with the exeception of the water at the shift cable, and Kghost wisely explained that.
I'll have another real close look, do all the lubricating, and put it back together.
Probably launch next week. If water still shows up, I'll try put paper towel around various points and try and determine where this very small amount of water is coming in. (about a pint or 2 a week, even when moored). I have really gone over the fresh water tank/system.
Again Thanks to Kghost, tightneing that locknut further would have been a pain for no gain!!"

"I worked on a boat once that

"I worked on a boat once that the Transom & Gimbal housing was loose and was letting in water, we took the engine off and left the drive on and it didn't leak, found the transom plate bolts loose, put the engine back on and no leak. The weight of the engine was pushing the gimbal housing to separate from the hull."

I had the same sort of slow le

I had the same sort of slow leak. Found to be the gasket between the plate (manifold) where the 4 hydraulic lines from the trim and tilt rams connect to the 2 internal lines from the pump. New gasket and some sealer fixed it up.

Back