Logo

New VRO Pump Engine Runs Great Then Suddenly Stops and NO Fuel Getting to Spark Plugs

marine1

"Help Please I just replaced t

"Help Please I just replaced the VRO pump on my 1986 Evinrude V4 90hp outboard ( upgraded to the 4 wire unit with warning horn function and also replaced the thermostats). I ran engine on the ears and she ran beautiful, put boat in water started, idled and ran great. Brought up to full throttle forward gear and still ran great 5000 rpm and then all of a sudden it just acted like it was out of fuel. It was NOT - I pumped the primer bulb alot and continuously choked the engine and when I pulled spark plugs They were DRY no fuel ? Help THANKS ........"

"possable leak in connections,

"possable leak in connections,double check everything.could be a restriction,nothing went into the lines when it was apart?check filter
and check carbs."

"Thanks Charles for the advice

"Thanks Charles for the advice I did check over all lines and no leaks visible inline filter not restricted. I DID not get into carbs * Note Engine seemed to run perfect no missing, hesitation, or sputtering for initial test run on hose, and during Idle at dock and full throttle run on water for some time 5-10 min. boat on plane then I throttled back then it just died out? Could I have damaged the VRO in any way by squeezing the primer bulb to much? I was running on pre-mix as instructed when replacing VRO pump also after extended choking Plugs still dry"

"did you buy a "full blown

"did you buy a "full blown" VRO or just a VRO looking fuel only pump???, did you have any issues with the carbs before your old VRO gave out??? I went thru a lot of the same you are going thru, only to find out that I had a very restrictive fuel filter(glass type)...now is your new VRO with the 4th wire triggering the fuel restriction alarm or are you getting any alarms at all???"

"Hi nicknack2,
I did buy a f

"Hi nicknack2,
I did buy a full blown VRO with 4 wire harness (upgraded from a no wire VRO) after performing the " Self - Prime Alarm Test "
I did not have any alarms. I have not had any problems with my carbs before, I did use stabil and fogged engine last fall. I have checked the in-line plastic fuel filter canister it is not restricted at all. Thanks for all your help if you have any more suggestions or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Chris"

"Everyone + I just wanted

"Everyone + I just wanted to add that during initial diagnosis on the water I did disconnect the fuel line at the filter ( carb side) and pumped primer bulb GAS came shooting out, I also disconnected the fuel line at the outlet from the VRO and pumped primer bulb gas came shooting out of VRO fuel outlet just in case any of that helps with your diagnosis. Thanks again for any suggestions or answers. Chris Rowley"

"Hi JWB,
Yes I did replace t

"Hi JWB,
Yes I did replace the pulse limiter with the one that came with the new VRO, I used the one that screws into the crankcase as the instructions said to. It ran VERY good until it dropped off and would not re-start.

Thanks for helping me with this JWB my DAD was a factory trained and certified marine mechanic his whole life, and I have been around boats all my life, I have done quite alot of mechanical work myself but I miss his wisdom. Thanks again for your help. Chris Rowley"

"it could be,..u have gotten a

"it could be,..u have gotten a def new vro.....here is the next ste i would do...run a fuel pump pressure test,... pressure gauge,between pump and carbs...i cant rem the exact pressure,but i am thinking,around 7 psi at wot....and steady...in any case see what u get.u can also run a vacuum test on ur fuel system...make sure u dont have an anti syphon valve."

Remove the drain screw at the

Remove the drain screw at the side bottom portion of the float chambers to see if fuel actually enters the carburetor float chambers.

"to rule out the a defective V

"to rule out the a defective VRO run a VRO test on the pump, that way if it is bad you can send it in and get a replacement ASAP..."

I was talking about bench test

I was talking about bench testing the VRO pump with a vaccum pump...not just fuel pressure testing the VRO with a gauge..."just trying to help"...

"Hello All,
To those of you

"Hello All,
To those of you that responded to my pleas for help THANK YOU. I found Leaks! that I did not see on the water, I removed the VRO and checked over everything reinstalled the pump assembly and now the engine runs great again I have had a chance to test on the water and everything seems OK.
Sincerely, Chris Rowley"

"Hi JWB,
I found leaks at th

"Hi JWB,
I found leaks at the fuel manifold to carb connection I could not see while on the water the VRO pump was kinda blocking my view. I am still running on pre-mix until I see for sure that the oil level is going down in the oil tank... have run about 11 gallons of fuel through it since getting it all back together. Thanks again for your input in helping me solve this problem. Sincerely, Chris Rowley"

Back