Logo

15 hp seals

edrun

"OK, I have a 1988, 15hp Marin

"OK, I have a 1988, 15hp Mariner. I'm haveing trouble with it missing at trolling speed. I noticed that the water seal was leaking on the head. I removed the front and back seals for replacement. In the process it looked like the rear seal was also leaking. Could that have caused the missing? Thanks

Edrun"

"Erik, not sure which seals yo

"Erik, not sure which seals you are talking about.

You had water leaking from the base of the powerhead? if so, that would cause a miss."

"Galamb, the seals i'm tal

"Galamb, the seals i'm talking about are on the side of the head. They seal both sides of the heat plate that seperates the water and exhaust.
After testing today there is still an occasional miss. Any other ideas?

Edrun"

"I'm also looking at power

"I'm also looking at powering up to a 25hp. I found a new 05' Yamaha. Any opinions about this motor. (good or bad)

Thanks, Edrun"

"A miss can be caused by one o

"A miss can be caused by one of a few things.

A mis-adjusted carb, an air leak in the powerhead gasket or even an ignition component starting to go.

Is the Yami a 2 or 4 stroke?"

I'm not sure about the ree

I'm not sure about the reed valves. After 20 plus years of service I think I convinced my wife to let me get something new. If so I will trade off the mariner on the yami. I would still like to know all I can about the 05' 25 hp four stroke yamaha. Thanks

Edrun

"Erik, any four stroke is more

"Erik, any four stroke is more maintenance (intensive) than a 2 stroke. They just won't take the same level of neglect.

So, if you go with a 4 stroke, you kinda have two options.

1) get a service manual right when you pick up the motor and read it. Then follow the service recommendations in the owners manual to the letter - in fact, if it says once a year for something, consider doing it twice.

2) get friendly with a tech and use their services, of course be prepared to pay shop rates.

If you "wait 'till next year" to have something done on a 4 stroke like many do with a 2 stroke, in 3 or 4 years you will be back here looking for info on "another" new motor.

I'm not saying the motors are "bad", but they must be meticuously maintained."

Thanks for the feedback. I am

Thanks for the feedback. I am going with the four stroke. Where would be a good place to find a service manual for a four year old motor.

Edrun

"Right from a Yami dealer. Ser

"Right from a Yami dealer. Service manuals generally sell in the 80 dollar range, but given that's cheaper than a single hours labour at most shops, it's well worth it in the long run..."

Back