Logo

Mercruiser engine turns over but wonbt start

jackman

Contributing Member
"Mercruiser 228 engine (19

"Mercruiser 228 engine (1978 origin) turns over fine on key but will not fire up. It doesn't even give a kick. Fuel OK, I can smell the petrol in carb'. No spark at plugs. No spark when I short distributor end of HT lead from coil on block. Four wires connected to plus side of coil, from memory two running to Distributor(one red and one black) and two coming up from V of engine both brown). I've checked the brown wires seperately with a multi-meter and one brown wire showed 1 volt and the other nothing. This was with the ignition switched on. I put one probe from the multi-meter on the end of the wire and the other on the block. Is this indicating that I only have one volt ariving at the coil? in which case is there any point in checking the red and black wires? I'm flying a bit blind on this so any advice gratefully received."

"with the ignition switche

"with the ignition switched on"

Does the starter crank the engine?

The coil + side should have 12 vdc to ground from the starter when it is cranking; trace the wire. When it starts then there is 9 vdc on the + side from the resistor wire or solid resistor.

"Four wires connected to plus

"Four wires connected to plus side of coil, from memory two running to Distributor(one red and one black)

Do you have a pertronix electronic ignitor? If so, the red should go to hot and black to negative."

Point ingition?

Go to aut

Point ingition?

Go to auto parts store and buy a 12 volt test light. Meters are a good testing device but on a 12 VDC system a light really tells you what is going on.

Check you shifter interupter switch. If it is engaged or broken then the ingition is bieng shorted to ground. Easy to test. remove wire from the switch that goes to the coil.

Let sus know what you find

Also

Rmove the cap and take your wifes fingernail file and put it between the points and sand them a bit.

reinstall cap and retry.

Probably may need a good tune up.

"Guy/PugetSounder/KGhost/Bert;

"Guy/PugetSounder/KGhost/Bert; Thank you all for your help. I got a 12v test lamp as suggested but couldn't find fault. I got some professional help and was advised problem was the Petronix electronic ignition in the part that revolves inside the ring with the magnetic pick up points. Also advised to replace coil and HT lead 'tween coil and distributor. So, fingers crossed. Sorry about delay in getting back to you as I hadn't time to go the boat over last few weeks."

Back