Logo

Exhaust leak Crusader XL

dpc

"New member with some exhaust/

"New member with some exhaust/riser/manifold questions.

When commissioning this season, the yard discovered an exhaust leak on a fiberglass muffler on the outside of my starboard engine. In addition to fixing this, they recommend flushing the cooling system, replacing all risers and manifolds. I have been given a preliminary quote of C. 6K for all work.

I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, but have no experience on Crusader or inboard engines. Previously, I performed all maintenance and reapirs on my two stroke outboards.

Is this a task that one could normally DIY with the appropriate service manuals? Any specific order of operation? Known pitfalls to watch for? Best parts source(s)?

My initial thoughts in thinking this through my head are to 1) Flush cooling system. 2) Drain cooling system 3) Remove rear coffin lid to get to exhaust system 4) Remove exhaust, riser, and manifold - replace in opposite order.

I am also thinking that I should get a same width bolt for the manifold, only 1.5 times longer than the ones holding it in place, cut the head off and install this at opposite ends of the manifolds after removing two bolts. In my head, this will 1) help keep the manifold in place while removing the other bolts, 2) keep the new gasket in place, and 3) align the new manifolds as they go on.

Any advice/insight is greatly appreciated."

"You are on the right track.

"You are on the right track. Check out McMaster Carr, for special hardware; Including manifold 3/8" dia studs, to do exactly what you listed, holding the gasket on during assembly "92386A632 ". @ $1.53 each, better than cutting yourself. I used "91271A626" for the elbow to manifold attach."

"David:

you are on the corr

"David:

you are on the correct path...I'd suggest investing another hour or so in searching the crusader board for "exhaust" and "manifold" or "riser" over the past year or two. You will find many answers to all of your questions. just use that "SEARCH" button up at the top.

Assuming the exchange rate hasn't changed much since last year, $6K CD is a bit steep, even at list price."

"Thank you for the replies. I

"Thank you for the replies. I have been searching the board and have found many useful topics. The 6K price is USD, the C. was meant for "circa" - an approximation to the actual quote of 6,207."

Sorry about that....i use the

Sorry about that....i use the approximate sign (~) when it comes to numerical quantities.

Are your manifolds raw water o

Are your manifolds raw water or fresh water? If they are fresh water then you probably only need to replace the risers (Elboes). I just replaced mine and the two cost $212-. $6000- seems steep to me but then I try to do all my own work wenever possible so I am not up with the prices that are charged. Have a good weekend.

Back