Logo

BF150 speedo failure

darine

"My speedo failed after hittin

"My speedo failed after hitting a kelp paddy at 25mp.
I suspect a plugged pick up tube. Has anyone successfully cleared the tube from the gauge back to the pick up with air or fluid pressure. Is it a straight shot or is there a sensor in between. I use my speedo as a early warning to plugged cooling water pick up. No speedo , help blocking pick up. Overheating soon to follow."

"Darin, forget the speedo, you

"Darin, forget the speedo, you'll be unplugging it every 2 weeks, they don't work. They plug up to easy at the leg. (pickup hole is too tiny) Saltwater use even worse as even plankten clog them up over time. Install a proper water pressure gauge coming off the block up to the dash. Mine has saved me countless times. It allows me to get the engine shut down BEFORE the overheat alarm (the to late alarm I like to call it)goes off. Mine is set up so it is right in my line of site at the helm. Cost is about $70.00 and is made by Faria. I use my Tach to get a close guess to speed or my gps when I really need it accurate."

"Darin, I agree with Rollie 10

"Darin, I agree with Rollie 100%. If you are running a GPS, get your speed from it, its FAR more accurate than the standard on-board units. ALL outboard manufactures can do NOTHING about the crap that gets into the tiny water passage that supplies pressure to your speedo............sad but true.If you choose to go for a pressure gauge, be sure to firmly secure the hose to ALL points, as a loss of connection can result in alot of unwanted water being sprayed about under the cowling, the results of which can be horrid."

"I agree with using GPS. Howe

"I agree with using GPS. However, when my speedo plugged up after I hit a log, I used a fish hook to get the wood out of the hole (in front of the prop hub), then blew back from the instrument panel to clear the debris."

Back