Logo

1999 Yamaha 99 4 stk water in oil

michigan_brian

"T 9.9 ELRX

Hi guys-

I h

"T 9.9 ELRX

Hi guys-

I have a 1999 Yamaha 4 stk kicker and water is getting in the oil. Quite a bit of water.

The motor runs perfect, the plugs are fine, you would not even know there is an issue with the motor until you look at the oil. No smoking, no running hot, easy starting hot or cold. The motor has always been in freshwater.

I have seen some posts while searching about an issue with the oil pan corroding. I have no problem pulling the powerhead and checking this, I have been around motors for years and I do have the factory service manual for this motor.

I was hoping it was maybe a stuck open t stat and it was just condensation, but there is way too much water in the oil for that. There has to be an internal leak someplace.

Other than doing a compression check, anything else I should be looking for before tearing this apart? I highly doubt its a cylinder head gasket issue but maybe I am not aware of something on this motor...

and the motor is used only for trolling at low speeds if this is of any help. The only time it gets run any faster is during inital warmup of the motor at the start of the day and thats about it...

thanks in advance"

The head gasket is probely you

The head gasket is probely your best bet as there are oil return passage ways through the head back to the crankcase near these are water passage ways through the block and head.

thanks for the replies

How

thanks for the replies

How does the fuel pump get its water? Are there passages in the cyl head cover? How would this water get into the oil? Bad gasket I assume?

"Well, the problem appears to

"Well, the problem appears to be solved.

I took the breather box apart that the 2 tubes from the cyl cover are connected to and cleaned it out. there was a lot of milky crap in it.

I trolled for 4 hours today and the oil looks brand new, just like it should.

So I think thats all it was, this breather was clogged up"

Back