Logo

Spark plug gap

cannonballkev

Contributing Member
"I installed a petronix electr

"I installed a petronix electronic conversion kit, with a 40,000 volt coil. 2.3 l ford. They said i could go up to a .50 gap in the plugs. It is it .35 now (what it called for with points) What advantage /disadvantage is it to set gap higher.
Boat starts, idles, runs good. I was expecting a little more power,but am satisfied with what i have, hit 34 with 5 people, lots of gear, extra gas in boat(hole in gas filler hose) planned out, with a 15 p prop, 17.5ft boat. RPM was 5300ish.
with gear out of boat, 3 people in and pulling two tubes, was a little slow to plane out. I have whale tail (or whatever they are called on it).
thanks"

I have a simuliar boat just a

I have a simuliar boat just a little bit shorter and I have been thinking about putting an electronic conversion kit on it. Do you know what distrubitor you have in yours and do you still have the part numbers for the petronix conversion kit and coil? What diameter prop are you running it takes me forever to plane out with a 13.75 dia. and 15pitch prop. the extra gap will give a wider spark makeing combustion a little ore eficient(more spark to ignite the fuel).

"Mike, you may want to think a

"Mike, you may want to think about if the boat has gained some weight ( gear or water in places it shouldn't, just because a bilge is dry doesn't mean the boat hasn't gained some water weight. )

Also you may want to do a compression check on your engine to see if your having some HP proplems. Aged leaking intake exhaust valves loose HP real quick. As does weak piston rings or worn pistons, one way to check that is when running the engine at idle open the oil fill on the valve cover, do you feel a lot or little air coming out, how does it smell?"

Brian I have good copression a

Brian I have good copression across the all cylinders not more than a 15 pound variance with the lowest cylinder around 115 I had thought about water logged foam but the boat does not set low in the water. prop pitch was something I was just wondering about while I am waiting on a carb kit to come in so I can fix a couple of other problems I am haveing perforance wise. thanks for your advise. Michael

the low compression isn't

the low compression isn't bad and a 15lb diff isn't bad either but performance is going to be a bit off. See how it is when you get the Electronic kit in and the carb rebuilt.

"The real problem is, if you p

"The real problem is, if you put new heads on an old motor...... Best off to rebuild both, or ring the pistons, if the slugs are good."

"I forgot to add...get rid of

"I forgot to add...get rid of the Whale tail.Get some smart tabs. Less stress on the transom. Automatic, and virtually maint. free.I got them for my 20 footer v6 omc, and I'm impressed. $200.00 Can.
15 to 30 min to install. I've seen the specs, you could put them on your boat. Largest set like I have are for 17 to 21 foot. You choose between 60 or 80 lb attenuators, depending on what you need. You COULD even buy 2 sets of attenuators for different application ie : tubing,(80 lb)or cruising (60lb).I'm running 80's, due to length and weight."

Back