Logo

DF150 Power tilt blows fuse

toddler

"Last year we purchased a DF15

"Last year we purchased a DF150 and it performed flawlessly for the whole season. I brought it out of storage (stored in a garage) and if I try to raise the motor using the switch on the motor it blows the fuse. If I use the switch on the throttle control nothing happens. Also if I turn the ignition key nothing happens, no buzzer, no indicator lights, nothing. The battery is fully charged, and all the fuses have been tested and are in good shape.
Any ideas on what I should check next?"

Chk the sub harness fuse. Soun

Chk the sub harness fuse. Sounds like maybe the rats or mice got hungry and ate the harness up.

"Thanks Robert, that solved th

"Thanks Robert, that solved the dead ignition system problem. Now when when I turn the key everything work like it should, the buzzer buzzes, the indicator lights light, and if I give starter a quick shot the starter engages. I can even hear the fuel pump engage. Finding the sub harness fuse was not easy, why do installers get such joy in hiding things like that. It turns out he fuse wasn't fully pushed into the holder, glad this happen on shore and not on the water!
Now the bad news, the power tilt switch on the motor still blows the fuse when I try to raise the motor, the switch on the handle does nothing but the voltage meter takes a big drop and both switches work fine when I lower the motor. I have a funny feeling I'm going to have to muscle the motor up and take a look at the power tilt wiring. Any thoughts?"

"I don't think they get jo

"I don't think they get joy from it. I think most riggers don't have a clue what it is for. Cool glad you located it. You have some kind of short some where, maybe the harness switch or the relay failed."

"After spending some time trac

"After spending some time tracing wiring and eliminating possible problem areas. It all came down to the relay (module) mounted under the fuse panel. Once I disconnected the "trigger" wire connector the fuse stopped bowing when I hit the up button.
I removed the relay and tested the blue trigger wire with an ohm meter. Sure enough it indicated a dead short, while the pink trigger had a resistance.
I sent the relay up to the dealer and told them this was the culprit. They tested it and said it worked perfectly in a motor they had in stock. At that point I had them send it back so I could reinstall it and and somehow get the boat up to them to find the problem. Before I reinstalled the relay I put the ohm meter on the trigger leads again. The dead short on the blue wire was gone!! I reinstalled the relay and everything worked perfectly.
I have no idea what just happened, if I start having problems again I know exactly where to go.

Thank for you help with this Robert."

Back