Logo

DF 50 4 cycle oil

andrew_white

"I do not have a Suzuki dealer

"I do not have a Suzuki dealer closer than 35 miles from my boat and I do not want to travel that far just to buy two extra quarts of Suzuki 4 cycle oil. I already have one QT of Suzuki SAE 10W-40 (SP-40) and am wandering if I can buy antoher brand of marine 4 cycle oil to combine with what I already have? I know that you can not mix weights of oil but not sure about mixing brands when it comes to outboards. Lastly..could I use a regular 10W-40 form an auto parts store or are marine and automoive oils blended diferently. I have used automitve 10W-30 in Honda 225 HP outboards for a few years and not run into any issues. Suzuki just mentions that any 4 cycle oils used meet SE, SF, SG, SH or SJ under the API system."

Andrew I beleave you answered

Andrew I beleave you answered your own question. Any 4 cycle Marine oil is fine so long as it meets the specs. Marine oil has some extra corrosion inhibtors and detergents. Each manufacture has there own blend.

I picked up some Chevron 10W 4

I picked up some Chevron 10W 40 yesterday at Kragen Auto and made sure it met the API requirements for Suzuki. The lable on the back of the qt of oil said it met about 4 API standards but only one was listed in the API "circle" twoards the bottom. Why is this? According to that symbol it only met SM...? Just curious about this.

"Mercury "Quicksilver"

"Mercury "Quicksilver" 4 stroke is pretty good stuff, give that a try if you've got a merc dealer nearby"

Back