Logo

1994 Evinrude 200 Vindicator

copper_dog

Need help! The motor has run f

Need help! The motor has run fine untill this year. The number 5 cylinder keeps loading up and fouling the plug. It will run fine on a new plug untill it fouls out. I have replaced the coil and wire and checked the compression it is fine. The other plugs look good.

"Just want to make sure...no o

"Just want to make sure...no offense here...
but are you sure it is #5? The bottom starboard cyl is #5.
The reason I make this point is that #6 (bottom port cyl) can show your exact symptoms, because it drives the pulse fitting and hose for the fuel pump."

"Could You please explain a bi

"Could You please explain a bit further ,Dough?
My first guess might be a flooding carb and/or defective recirculation system.
Just remember that stb carbs feeds port cyl's etc."

"Yes...
With a torn seal on t

"Yes...
With a torn seal on the piston shaft in the VRO2 fuel pump, fuel can leak into the pulse line.
It has the effect of enriching #6 to the point of fouling it out.
Can be tested by sucking on the pulse line (disconnect at engine pulse limiter) and if you get a mouth full of fuel..."

"That would take a huge leak,

"That would take a huge leak, I've never experienced that big on a VRO. However I have experienced similar problems with the vapor pump on the 60 degr engines."

"Well, I admit that the circum

"Well, I admit that the circumstances would have to be just right.
But the leak or tear doesn't have to be that big...because the fuel is being forced thru the tear when the pump "unloads" or clicks on it's fuel pumping stroke. The fuel is not being drawn into the air motor from engine vacuum, it is being forced in past that seal when the pump clicks. Obviously the pumping action of the entire pump is compromised, though.

Also, it is common for people posting to make minor mistakes in their description of the problem, sending the people answering on wild goose chases....I just wanted to be sure it was really #5 as he described.
Just recently, one guy stated #3 cyl in his post, and it was really #6....

I welcome your opinion on this...."

"The air motor is on the press

"The air motor is on the pressure side of the fuel pump, on the other hand the air pressure in the air motor is in the fuel-pump side of the air motor. I have taken apart quite a number of pumps and tested during my time, and yest I have found fuel in the air motor from leaking seal, but at the same time I've always had air-bubbles in the fuel on the pressure side of the pump reducing the pump capacity quite a lot in such cases. However nothing will surprise me!
I agree that info given is rather confusing from time to time, I take it as part of the challenge. That was the reason I mentioned that the carbs on this engine 'cross-feeds' as I've seen to often people tearing down the wrong carb!
Similar to the confusion when GM people gets into a Ford and try to figure out firing order not knowing that they have different ways of numbering the cyls."

"I wish the original poster wo

"I wish the original poster would get back on here and confirm...is it the lower starboard cyl #5 or is it possibly the lower port cyl #6. Just to make sure.

Sure would like to have your experience, Morten."

It is for sure#5 cylinder lowe

It is for sure#5 cylinder lower starboard. The original vro pump was removed and a new manual fuel pump put back. I mix my own fuel. the fouled plug is black the rest are coffee colored.

Pull and check the carb. You m

Pull and check the carb. You may even switch carb from another cyl and see if problem moves.

I switched the carbs and the p

I switched the carbs and the problem moved. I put a new needle and seat in the carb. The plug looks good now. Thanks. However it is sluggish still coming out of the hole. Runs fine after it plans out. Seems like it is getting to much gas. Could you please help and tell me the adjustment on the carb. How many turns do i need to back it out for the gas and air? Or could it be the low end jets? Please help guys Im about to make fish structure out of this thing.

Back