Logo

1996 DT 140100 jet 4900 RPM max

susquehanna

"Recently purchased used 1996

"Recently purchased used 1996 DT 140 with jet pump... Mounted it onto boat took out for test drive found engine to be unresponsive to throttle and only achieved 4900 RPM. The compression is 130,125,130,120 top to bottom. The oil injection has been removed (not happy about that)and a coverr plate installed that was leaking. since repaired with no noticable difference. removed carbs found no issues. Have spark on all for holes. So I went to timing found that the engine was running 5 degrees all the time no adjustment??? Read in the manual that TVS, Engine speed, and water temp are only sensors. The TVS has 550 M ohms all of the time (any throttle position)I think this is my problem but,I am looking for information on specs for TVS and were to find oil injection system parts"

If it's a 1996 it should b

If it's a 1996 it should be a voltage style tpi not a ohm output. You will need a manual to test properly. But if the timing is static at 5 degrees your on the right track.

The TVS is not like an automot

The TVS is not like an automotive TPS it reminds me of and off/on idle validaition switch. After taking in off of the engine I disassembled the switch and found a magnetic slid inside. No big suprise there but what was supprising to me was that the "ramp" that moved the slide was not gradual. for the first 30% of throttle open the magnetic slide does not move then for the rest of the throttle movement the ramp is one steady thickness and the slide is all the way pushed back. With all of that being said I agree that it is a 3 wire voltage reference sensor but my manual gives no specs for output in volts or does it give a static test for an ohms reading off of the engine. Thanks for the confidence that I am in the right direction (not bad for a big truck mechanic)

Hi Larry

You can bench tes

Hi Larry

You can bench test it. I don't have a manual in front of me. You will probably need a factory manual. Is it square about 1" x 1" with a black rubber plug in the middle???

yes it is... 3 wire one ground

yes it is... 3 wire one ground and a supply and signal I have too assume. If you could the reference voltage would be very helpful as well so that I know that my module is supplying the proper voltage for the sensor. The questions keep coming up in my head...Does the engine have to be running or will it supply referance voltage with just the key on because I did not have any voltage on either side of the plug on the engine harnas with the key on engine off. Are factory manuals available for these engines?

Is it square with a rubber plu

Is it square with a rubber plug in the middle?

That sensor works off of DC voltage. Be careful without a manual you can fry the rectifier circuit in the cdi box. It converts the ac voltage from flywheel into DC voltage for the TPI sensor. The idle setting is .5 volts. You need the manual. I still need the manual when I set those up.

"You can bench test with a 12

"You can bench test with a 12 volt source, test cord and of course service manual. If the timing is static there is a good chance it is bad. I'll price one for you Stand By"

"Larry, I have a used oil pump

"Larry, I have a used oil pump off of an EFI engine but looking at the part numbers it doesn't look like it will work on the carbed '96 model."

Back