Logo

BF50 charging circuit

dore

"I have a 2000 BF50. The last

"I have a 2000 BF50. The last time out I had a problem with the charging circuit. The first time I noticed it was after approx 1 hour of operation, the tach stopped working & I noticed that the battery voltage indication on my sonar was only at 12.4V It would usually indicate approx 13.6 with the engine ideling. I stopped on shore checked all conections & the main 15 A fuse . Found nothing. The next morning when I started the tach worked & the voltage was at 13.6. After approx 15 min the tach quit & the voltage dropped to 12.3. Now that I am back home I have checked the following.
Charge coil resistance .2 ohms no shorts to ground. I did the resistance checks for the rectifier/ reg nodule as per the Seloc manual & it looks OK. When I idle the motor I get only .5 VAC from the charge coils. This does not change if I disconect the wires from the coil going to the rectifier module or increase the RPM. What should the voltage from the charge coil be at a fast idle? To me the problem looks like the charge coil even though the resistance tests are within spec."

you need a DVA to test the cha

you need a DVA to test the charge coils

turn you meter on a/c volts
start the motor
rev up to 1500 RPM
now get a reading of the battery terminals
if over .8V bad reg/rectifier

"I measured the AC volts from

"I measured the AC volts from the charge coil using a Fluke DVM. At a fast Idle I get .5VAC Not sure the RPM as the tach is not working. It looks like the tach get a signal from the regulator. some how measuring charge coil frequency to determin RPM. The output from the regulator does not increase from battery voltage. I,m thinking that the output from the charge coil should be higher that .5VAC at a fast idle. I think that to get 14VDC at the output of the regulator it should be at least 14 VAC from the coil?? Can some one measure this on honda?"

Back