Logo

Heat exchanger

jaynkay

any help on the heat exchanger

any help on the heat exchangerfor the 87 chrysler.
there is antifreze coming out of the zinc plug . the heat exc. i a sek-dure 2200

I don't think there is sup

I don't think there is supose to be antifreeze in the heat exchanger. Isn't only fresh water coming out of the zinc plug hole jay

"Hi Jay,

Here is an article

"Hi Jay,

Here is an article on the Points East forum about heat exchangers. Contains some photos, and talks about having the heat exchanger pressure tested by a radiator shop. You might want to do the pressure test if you have a suspected leak.
http://www.pointseast.com/forum/index.php?topic=58.0 (That one is a multi-pass heat exchanger. I don't think the sen-dure is a multi pass.)

I just replaced one of my heat exchanger end cap gaskets and the pencil zinc. I wrote about it here. http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12490/283424.shtml It made me think that you didn't say what kind of anti-freeze was in the heat exchanger. When I pulled off the end cap, I had propylene glycol (the pink non-toxic stuff) in the raw water side left over from winterization. That's not what you're asking about is it?
Regards,"

thanks for the help I had it t

thanks for the help I had it tested nat a radiator shop and no leaks were found. I will put back and run it to see what happens. thanks

I keep it indoors heated so no antifreeze in the freash water system

Re: "Hi Jay,

Here is an article

Anyone happen to have that article still? the PointsEast website doesn't show a forum any longer. -thanks!

Re: I don't think there is sup

I don't think there is supose to be antifreeze in the heat exchanger.
There are two wet sides to the heat exchanger.
.... the ethylene glycol side, whereby the coolant surrounds the tube bundle.
.... the seawater side, whereby the seawater passes through the tube bundle.

The pencil anode installs in the seawater side of the shell and tube system.

Isn't only fresh water coming out of the zinc plug hole
That would be either river, lake or ocean water.

By the way, the pencil anode serves two purposes.
.... anode protection on the seawater side.
.... drain plug for draining the seawater.

Last edited:
Back