Logo

Oil alarm comes on

ricku55

"I have a 2002 200 HP Yamaha h

"I have a 2002 200 HP Yamaha hpdi, and after the engine is warmed up and only on an idle, the alarm comes on. After shutting the motor down for about 5 to 10 minutes and starting it back up again, the alarm goes off. It doesn't come on when running the engine for a long time or on higher RPM's, only on an idle.
I recently put in a water pump propeller kit and the engine is "peeing" water on an idle, and pees harder with more RPM's. But, I was wondering if maybe a seal in the water pump kit might have come out of place after installing the new water pump kit?
My remote reservoir was full when the alarm went off and there was also oil in the mounted oil reserve area at the side of the engine. The engine is also peeing water. I'm not sure what the likely problem is.
Please let me know if you have had a similar problem and what you found the problem to be, or if you have any suggestions.
Thanks,
Rick"

If the oil alarm is sounding t

If the oil alarm is sounding then the engine is not receiving the appropiate amount of oil. In your engine is the oil pump controlled by the throttle? My first step wold be seeing is any of the oil lines are leaking or are pinched. I would then replace the oil pump. See if that helps.

"Yes, the throttle controls th

"Yes, the throttle controls the oil pump. I checked for leaks and pinched lines- but everything seems to be ok.
The alarm only came on two different times when the motor was on an idle. The motor is on a 19 foot Lund Pro-V, and I hardly ever idle the motor, only when unloading and loading the boat. It surprises me that there isn't a problem at higher RPMS.
Thanks for your response and input.

Rick"

Your motor temp is controlled

Your motor temp is controlled by the thermo and when you get over about a third throttle the bypass valves open up allowing cold water to flow through the engine this is why you dont have a problem when the engine is going quickly.

Change out the thermo's and the prob will be gone

"I put the motor in the water

"I put the motor in the water tank last night,the overheat light did come on not the low oil. I switch the thermo heat switches around on the head,on the right side would make the alarm go off. I will change the thermostate to night and try it again. I will keep you up dated. Thanks Jamie

Rick"

"I have twin yamaha 200 hp 2 s

"I have twin yamaha 200 hp 2 strokes. I ran both for about 30 mins, the left engine oil indicator brinked and a beeping sound came on. The engine power dropped from 40 to about 7-8. The 2 gal oil tank is still three quaters filled. The oil tank in the engine was at the LOW indicator. I filled it. started the motor but the problem persisted."

Back