Logo

1991 Evinrude 150 GLEIS driveshaft not in lower unit

sobie2

"I have been given a boat a mo

"I have been given a boat a motor package but the lower unit is removed from the boat and the shfit linkage is on the lower unit, but the drive shaft is still in the engine sticking out of the mid section. This is a saltwater engine. Most outboard lower units I have the driveshaft and shift linkage are parts of the lower unit.

Is something amiss here? Does that driveshaft need to be re connected to the lower unit? I don't have access to a repair manual any recommendations for a manual or to my predicament.

By the way the motor fires right up so it runs."

"It might have been a 2-piece

"It might have been a 2-piece driveshaft gear housing installed on the engine, if the lower end of the shaft has splines. Anyway, the shaft has to be removed from the engine to be installed in the new gear case, or You may not be able to get waterpump and impeller installed."

"Sounds like the driveshaft sp

"Sounds like the driveshaft splines are stuck within the crankshaft splines, usually due to someone neglecting to install the top O Ring on the shaft and/or failing to grease those splines thoroughly."

"Wow thanks, those were some f

"Wow thanks, those were some fast replies.

There are threads near the end of the shaft and at the bitter end about a 1/4" dia hole. When I look inside the gear case there are splies. I may be okay, but as Morten Ringvold posted I may have difficulty installing the waterpump specifically the plastic "key" wedge

On the 2-piece driveshaft is there something that connects the upper shaft to the rest of the engine?

Sobie2"

"If you're asking if the t

"If you're asking if the top of the driveshaft connects, that is actually attaches to the powerhead...... no, it does not. The driveshaft splines simply slide into the crankshaft splines.

No offense intended, but if you're planning on keeping that engine for awhile, I'd suggest yo obtain a proper service manual to avoid expensive errors."

"Note the sleeve 20 and pin 21

"Note the sleeve 20 and pin 21 that holds the sleeve. This is 'locking' the upper drive shaft into the lower. I suspect they have been forced apart in Your case damaging the tabs in the locking sleeve. You may have to dismantle the lower unit, take out the lower vertical shaft to replace that sleeve.
282959.gif
"

Back