Logo

1995 150 xr6 fire problem

bfazekas

Cant get fire on even# cyls ha

Cant get fire on even# cyls have swapped coil packs problem stays on the even side then swapped switch boxes problem stays on the same side. Any ideas?

I didnt try a new switch box i

I didnt try a new switch box i just swapped the front and back boxes and rewired them. after this i was hoping the problem would swap sides but it did not so the switch boxes must be ok. the problem is i dont know what to try next

"If the idle stablizer is wire

"If the idle stablizer is wired to the bank that isn't firing, disconnect that first and recheck for spark.

If that isn't the issue, try switching the wires feeding the switchboxes from the stator - if the problem moves, replace the stator.

You should have a solid blue and a pair of solid reds, plus a blue/white and a pair of red/whites - swap the red for red/white and blue for blue/white to test the stator outputs."

i swapped the solid blue and s

i swapped the solid blue and solid red for the rew/white and blue/white and the opposite set of clys now fire so is it safe to say the stator is bad?

"Yes, that absolutely indicate

"Yes, that absolutely indicates a bad stator...

Ouch - over 450 bucks from Merc.

Personally, if you can't find a used one, I would go with one from CDI - about 363 bucks, but I really like their quality."

"Same thing Barry, every year

"Same thing Barry, every year or two they change the part number a little.

All of these are interchangeable - 18-5875, 18-5876, 398-9610A 3, 398-9610A 5, 398-9610A 6, 398-9610A 9, 398-9610A14, 398-9610A17, 398-9610A19, 398-9610A22, 398-9610A24, 398-9610A33"

thanks again. I sure wish I ha

thanks again. I sure wish I had known about this site last year when I was having so much trouble out of my 50 hp merc.

"Graham,
While these stators

"Graham,
While these stators are all interchangable as far as fitment, aren't they different with the AMP output of each?
6 amp
9 amp
14 amp
etc.

That was my understanding."

"Douglas, according to Merc, e

"Douglas, according to Merc, each one in the list was the part number that supreceded the previous number in the list.

I didn't run all the numbers to see what their individual output was, but since the "amp" rating applies simply to the power output from the "charge coils" it should make no difference from a "ignition" perspective.

At least Merc is saying that stator x or y can both be used interchangably.

But yes, on a larger motor it would be preferable to have a higher amp output - it sucks more juice from the battery to start and would be nice to try and replentish it quicker..."

I tried to buy a used one but

I tried to buy a used one but it slipped through my fingers on e bay. I know that can be risky but for the price even if it didnt work it was going to be worth a try now i am back to square one

also when troubleshooting the

also when troubleshooting the motor i noticed the bottom voltage regulator was burnt could this have caused the problem with the stator or vice versa

"Barry, would suspect the stat

"Barry, would suspect the stator took out the regulator - that would be typical.

You can try a recylcler such as www.twincityoutboards.com but I have found the "commercial" used parts guys want about half the Merc list price. Since CDI components are about 2/3's the price of OEM I would lean towards (aftermarket) new.

Or just keep your eye on Ebay."

I found a marine salvage yard

I found a marine salvage yard local and he had several of them went yesterday picked it up and installed it it ran like a top. According to the boat owner it is running better than it has in years. Again thanks to everyone for the help now I have a tach question his tach works sometimes but not others any idea on this problem?

"Barry, the "sometimes&#34

"Barry, the "sometimes" working tach is probably a bad connection somewhere in the harness. Pick an end to start at and check all the connections.

Have a good look under the dash. That's ususally where you will have exposed wires ganged together - a bad "hot" or "ground" under there could be the culprit."

Will give it a look as soon as

Will give it a look as soon as I get off work what rpm's should it be running at top end? 1995 150 xr-6

You should be maxing out somew

You should be maxing out somewhere around 5600 if it has the correct prop on it...

"5100 rpms is still (just&

"5100 rpms is still (just) in the WOT range 5000-5600.

It does tell me however, that you should be turning a little "less" pitch to get it up a little more.

Personally, I would be looking for 5400 rpms on this motor - that would be 2" less pitch than current.

Many are under the false assumption that MORE pitch = MORE speed. While that is partially true, more pitch can also lead to engine damage if the motor can not get into it's WOT range.

If you are only turning 5100 rpms right now, when the middle of the summer hits and the temperature and humidity are high you motor will be straining to turn 4700 which could cause some damage - significant build-up of crud at the very least."

Back