Logo

Chrysler marine 318 225 HP 1981 oposite rotation starting problems

ronk82

When I go to start this engine

When I go to start this engine I have use the battery throw over and crank the engine. It may take a lot of cranking and then usually starts after I release the ignition button. It also seem to want to flood easily. All the batteris and cables are new. The right engine starts right up.

Thanks Jay.

I really didn&#

Thanks Jay.

I really didn't think of the ballast resister. I kind of thought if it was bad the engine just would not start.

It is almost as if the voltage provided while starting is too low.

This engine has electronic ignition. I seem to have read somewhere you could by pass the ballast resistor if you have electronic ignition with out hurting the engine. Have you ever heard on this. In addition to the BR could a week coil add to the problem?

Thanks Ron

I have two wire electronic ign

I have two wire electronic ignition and dont use a ballast resistor nor does the manufacture want it on there it depends on yours check your voltage while attempting to start with a meter also check to make sure the selector switchs are wired correct....just a thought

"You might have a bad solenoid

"You might have a bad solenoid. There's a wire going from it to the coil that's used to deliver 12 volts for starting (even though yours may no longer have a ballast resistor in the circuit).

Look at the small wire terminals on the solenoid for a wire going (eventually) to the coil. If so, the solenoid switch may be shot. Cheap fix if that's it.

Jeff"

I checked the wiring and there

I checked the wiring and there is a purple white strip wire going from the S terminal to the coil. I am going to replace the ballast resistor and the solenoid. It looked like maybe at sometime there was extreme heat on the solenoid starter side. I will let you know if this fixes the problem.

"I installed a new ballast res

"I installed a new ballast resistor and the solenoid. I then put the water to the engine, pumped the throttle once, cracked it a little and hit the start button. The engine fired right up. Haven't put the boat in the water yet, but plan to do it sometime this week. Thanks for the help. Looks like everything is running good now."

Back