Logo

77 Evinrude dies when put in gear

ron62sparks

"1977 75 hp Evinrude.
I have

"1977 75 hp Evinrude.
I have rebuilt the fuel pump, cleaned the carbs, changed the fuel line and bulb, new plugs compresson test show all cycl with-in 10 lbs of each other starting @ 100 lbs. Engine runs like a-top out of water or even better in water. Put it in gear and she dies. will fire back up reverse or forward she die ONLY IN WATER. Had some say the power pack is bad? got a good used one one the way. But I cant believe she runs sooo good to have have this kind of problem. Help!"

Do a link & sync according

Do a link & sync according to your manual. Final adjustments are normally done with the motor in water and in gear.

Let me give so more details..

Let me give so more details.. I got this from my son-in-law who had let it set though a winter with out draining the fuel or using stabol. Carbs were gummed and fuel pump diaphragm stiff. as noted i cleaned and rebuilt. She will start NOW! sounds great till in gear. Then SILENCE. Will i have to link and sync still? can it be a bad power pack?

"have u tried idling it up,fas

"have u tried idling it up,faster?...ur hs timing........is not...ur prob.....ck the spk...all firing?....using..autolite plugs?....
champions---ql77jc4--- gap at .030"

"checked all wires from coils

"checked all wires from coils to plugs. Jump 1/2 gap. all 3 coils.. using champion ql77jc4 set at .30 fires great nice hot spark. checked the timing advance linkage. working. any other ideas?? will be 2 weeks at least before can get in service dept. They are backed up! tried to put in gear with idle high, still no go. remember this is all ONLY IN WATER. will take either gear when in drive with muffs on."

"i would have to then,say..u m

"i would have to then,say..u may be dropping a cyl at idle.. due to a clogged idle passage...,or too slow of an idle spd,or both.....when idling on hose,use ur hand,rag etc,to slight restrict air flow to carbs,one at a time,..if any cyl speeds up a bit,...there is ur prob,..pull that carb,reclean,esp...small pickup idle tube."

"checked her out today in a te

"checked her out today in a test tank, after a super cleaning of carbs. fires up perfect. then sputs and cuts. So i pulled the boots and checked spark with a board and nails at 7/16" from grounded nail. guess what! Not a spark. closed the gap and and she fires at about a 1/4". What is wrong now? bad power pack?"

"nope!.....clean,...the coil g

"nope!.....clean,...the coil ground connections....if that dont do it,...make sure u run new, plugs, ql77jc4,gapped at ...-- .030...ur fire prob,could be due to slow cranking spd.."

Found the problem.. A wire gon

Found the problem.. A wire gone to ground from the ig switch.. Took loose from power pack and she runs great.. Thanks Did a sync on carbs as they were out of adjustment..

ronnie

"I am having the same problem

"I am having the same problem as ronnie. I gapped the new plugs to .030, I noticed the center plug was clean like it hasnt fired. How do I sync the carbs. Someone mentioned that I should remove the flywheel to check a shear pin which might be causing a timing problem. ??"

Is the ignition switch mention

Is the ignition switch mentioned located where you put the key in? If so my friend who was helping me got a shock when he touched the shift lever and the neutral lock lever. This boat has also been sitting exposed to the elements and the wiring connections behind the key lock shows rusting as well. will a short here result in losing power when put in gear?

"i am pretty sure if the key w

"i am pretty sure if the key was sheared you would still have fire on all of the plugs.
your problem sounds like the coil may be bad to the center cycl. with the gas line removed and all the plugs out move the orange wire from middle plug on power pack 2cd screw on left to top left screw on pack.(just for testing) use a block of wood with 2 nails drove though bend one nail so you have a 7/16" gap. ground one nail to motor with wire or clip and place boot of suspected bad coil on other nail. turn motor over if see fires, coil ok. move back to orginal hook up and try again. this should tell if coil or pack is bad.
There may be other things like the head ache I had. the manuel says, link and sync carbs has to be done in a test tank?
try it. keep us posted."

"kenn, Yes.

what i had to d

"kenn, Yes.

what i had to do was remove the yellow and black wire from the power pack bottom left screw. this wire goes to the ground though the ig switch. for testing remove it and start your motor. you will have to touch it back to kill motor if this is the problem as was mine..she will run great..

keep us posted.."

"Thanks Ronnie, I will test th

"Thanks Ronnie, I will test this out tomorrow and let you know the results. This site is incredible."

"Hi Ronnie, I had to take the

"Hi Ronnie, I had to take the carbs apart and clean the olf varnish and debri. She is purring like a kitten. Thanks for your help."

"took my boat out saturday.. a

"took my boat out saturday.. adjusted timing and idle speed a little more. Shoved it in gear, she stood up like a Great Ape!! and did a fabulous hole shot. Thanks to all you and the help provided. you have saved me a lot of MONEY!! Thanks again
ronnie"

Back