Logo

1983 johnson 35hp missing under load

aaronj

i have a 83 model 35hp outboar

i have a 83 model 35hp outboard johno and it has just started playing up. was out on the water running fine stopped and anchored to fish restarted to head ashore and it started missing all the way home. It seems to rythmical ie to even to be fuel and it idles fine. It is not all the time only under load and not on every revolution about every 6-8 any ideas whats going on i have checked for spark break down and cant find any i think it might be timing but not sure how it advances ??? any ideas would be great thanks aaron

"try new plugs....then,a timin

"try new plugs....then,a timing lite on it when prob occurs to narrow down to 1 cyl or both.."

hi guys thanks for your input

hi guys thanks for your input I have adjusted the spark plugs to both settings and also they are brand new and firing well timing wise when at idle it is timed well I just think it is something to do with the advance of the spark when accelorating I dont know how i can test this for timing ??? does anyone know how the advance of the spark is controlled?? could it be a anything else??

"yep........the stator plate,u

"yep........the stator plate,under flywheel rotates,advancing timing,as u throttle up..u should have a 'stop' it comes to at max wide open throttle..however,not having,max timing,is NOT gonna give u a miss....it will give u,..lower rpm's and less power."

could there be something with

could there be something with the pick up on the timing that when advanced it is missing??? as rpms not a problem and it just misses one cylinder while under load then continues running fine then does this again???

"sounds like a coil,or plug wi

"sounds like a coil,or plug wire problem,...ck coil grounds.if u have the coils,that the wires are replacable,...try new wires."

"Frayed wires leading from tim

"Frayed wires leading from timer base shorting. Pins or sockets backed out from rubber plugs slightly (poor connection). Head gasket slightly flawed allowing a small amount of water to enter cylinder (ck compression).

What do the s/plugs look like via their cylinder number..... water traces, foreign deposits, whatever?

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back