Logo

Chrysler 318BDL

luc

"I have just bought a Chrysler

"I have just bought a Chrysler Marine Engine 318BDL typ 338. I would need your help to solve some of the issues I have.

Based on the below picture, could someone give me an idea of the age of the engine?

282693.jpg
Engine picture"">

Is it still possible to buy some spare parts for the engine (e.g. exhaust manifold, carburator parts,...) and for the Z drive.

282694.jpg
Exhaust manifold"">

On tne cover of the thermostat, what is the function of the third hole (see picture below).

282695.jpg
Thermostat"">

Thank you in advance for your help.

Luc from Belgium"

it is a pre 66 318 ( Known

it is a pre 66 318 ( Known as a M318 ) we can get manifolds and some other parts but the M's are very hard to find parts for.

Dave

"Hi: This is the "A engine

"Hi: This is the "A engine" also known as the 'poly' because of its polyspherical combustion chambers. The engine shares some common parts with the "LA engine" the later 318, the 273, 340 and 360. The heads, gaskets, intake, exhaust, camshaft, are unique to the poly engines. It has a different valve arrangement, IEIEIEIE as opposed to EIIEEIIE of the LA. There is some interest in these engines in 1959-1966 MOPARs. Google ALLPAR and MOPAR ACTION for more info. Some automotive parts are still available. Good Luck, John."

"John is correct that it is a

"John is correct that it is a poly "A" in the automotive world, but in the marine application it is known as a M318 ( A= Automotive, M=Marine )but it is still a poly motor.
Personally I would NOT use this engine as a replacement for a number of reasons:
1. Very few parts available for it anymore
2. HEAVY- if you use a later 67+ 318 you will save a lot of weight over the poly ( I'm guessing 75-100 pounds )
3. Exhaust manifolds are out there but your choices as very limited as to risers, elbows etc.

Do your self a favor and sell it to someone restoring a old vintage boat that has to have a originality and go with the later LM318, you'll save a lot of headaches in the long run.

Dave"

Back