Logo

Metal filings in oil 2007 BF 225

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
Folks - just got a call from m

Folks - just got a call from my dealer. While undergoing 200 hour maintenance (at 240 hours) they found a "significant amount" metal filings in oil. They have no explanation of what has caused this and have a call in to Honda to see what they have to say. Anyone out there experienced this problem? What was cause? What did Honda do about it? This is the last thing in the world I would have expected to see in this engine.

"Follow up. Dealer called back

"Follow up. Dealer called back this morning. Honda will replace entire block with new one. If any metal filings found in heads, they'll replace those also. Only down side is it will take "several weeks" to get in parts and do the change over. I'm pretty satisfied with that response both from Honda, and very satisfied with the dealer, Whelen's Marina in Farmham, Virginia."

No cause identified yet - will

No cause identified yet - will likely let me know once they tear down the engine. They won't do that until they receive the replacement block. All of the research I've done indicates this was an exceptionally rare occurance. Even checked the automotive version Honda J35A3. Would like to hear from anyone who has seen this in other Honda V-6 engines.

"Bill, make sure they remove t

"Bill, make sure they remove the camshafts & check the bearing journals for damage from metal filings, & clean out the oil galleries in the heads.
Bob"

"Bob - Roger that. Plan to be

"Bob - Roger that. Plan to be on site when they take the heads off and break them down to inspect them myself. I really want to try to get to the initial cause of the breakdown. If we find it, I'll let you all know."

"This post is a follow up on m

"This post is a follow up on metal filings in the oil of my BF 225.

The block was replaced by the dealer and I'm breaking it in now. However, this is apparently not a rare occurance as I originally thought and posted to this forum. As I've dug into this, it appears to be a VERY SIGNIFICANT ISSUE with some number of these BF 200's and 225's, especially for motors produced over the last two years or so. Honda is apparently experiencing some sort of production problem with these engines, but I cannot determine what it is, or the incidence level.

My advice to all BF 200 and 225 owners is to very carefully check your engine oil for metal filings on a regular basis. Whenever you check the oil level, shine a flashlight down in the opening and look for any "sparkles" which will indicate an abnormal amount of metal in the oil. Stick a magnet probe down into the oil and check it carefully. When changing the oil check the magnetic plug carefully, and run a probe magnet around in the drained oil. Any metal that is larger than talcum powder may indicate a problem. Also, when you replace the oil filter, let it drain thoroughly into a separate container, and check that for metal filings also.

Hope some of the Honda masters on this forum will also jump in with their observations and advice."

only thing i have been seeing

only thing i have been seeing is camshaft thrust washers blowing up!!

also every oil change i have seen it comes out milky at the end

Back