Logo

New to Chrysler 318 New to boating

tweed

"Just purchased a 26' Sabr

"Just purchased a 26' Sabrecraft powered by a 318. I have had it out for several weekends putting about 7-8 hours on the hobbs. Love being back on the water! (prior commercial fisherman).

I want to know more about the 318 engine. Read may of the posts here, you guys are great!

I want to change the oil but am having doubts about the amount. I think the engine is a marine-ized 318, fresh water cool system added at engine overhaul according to receipts.

What is the amount of oil that is required? I ask as I have doubts about the stick accuracy and due to incline of engine want to check this. I am told that it takes 5 quarts but seem to remember a prior post mentioning 6 qts.

Also what oil grade should be used in a marine 318? It currently has 30 grade."

".....or pick up some 15W-40 w

".....or pick up some 15W-40 weight diesel oil.
Diesel oils are still designed for flat tappet engines, newer gas oils are designed for roller cams so less wear additives, however even they are losing some of the traditional zinc and phosphorus amounts. I've been using Shell Rotella which is also availble in single weights but I haven't looked for it."

"I agree with Conqueror...go f

"I agree with Conqueror...go for the 15w-40 diesel oil, my 38 yr old 318's love it."

"Thanks all. I still have res

"Thanks all. I still have reservations as I hear no source authority, maybe none exists. I read that the new gas fomula oils have reduced zinc to lesson impact to the cat converters..makes no sense in marine engines. Yet those oils that are not fomulated for to meet the CAFE fuel economy standards, such as the synthetics like Mobile and Castrol, still have high zinc content providing protection for those bearings and tappets that have direct surface contact. In addition I understand there is a NMA rating for marine engines called 4T that is corrosion reducing specialized for the salt environment. Have not seen these for sale, you? Despite all this I tend to default to an older standard and will just use 10-30 weight, (don't think straight 30 is best choice). I am going to load probably 5 quarts of 10-30 semi synthetic, check the dipstick, then add another quart if needed, probably, to see what it comes up to on the marks. I guess like in many things this too has no easy answers, time and experience will tell? Thanks guys! Tweed."

"Everything you found is true.

"Everything you found is true....that's why using diesel oil fills the void. Shell Rotella 'T' recommends it's use for marine diesels along with other 4-stroke motors too and it's no more expensive than regular semi-synthetic oils. I don't know about the NMA rating.

As for weight...The original Chrysler manual calls for 10W-30 but most other manf. ie. Mercury have recommended 30W for the last 30 yrs, so you can't go wrong either way. I think straight 30W still has a thicker consistency than 10W-30 and at the rpm's we run at I would use that if I wasn't using the 15W-40....IMO

Back to you oil pan....If you look at it and it's has a typical shape with the drop in it you would use 5 qt. If it's flat on the bottom and it's aluminum it takes more like 7 or 8 I think. They came with either one over the years. The older your motor and if your dip stick is on the side and not at the front corner it will be the flat bottom pan."

Back