Logo

Electric Fuel Pump to Reduce Fuel Rollback

knuckle47

Advanced Contributor
"I know there is a post on the

"I know there is a post on the forum that Rick placed several months back BOUT I can't seem to find it.

I usually TRY to get to the boat once a week BUT when I don't starting the engines is a chore. It takes about 15 seconds or so ( some less some more) for the fuel to get to the carbs and then fire the engine.

The topic was about placing an electric fuel pump in the fuel circuit with a momentary switch to help draw fuel up to a point where just a few cranks starts the engines. Rick had even mentioned a pump model.
I have zero problem once started...But that cranking and cranking a week later for the 1st time ...Well, I would like to try an eliminate that..Any Thoughts ?"

"Mine does the same infuriatin

"Mine does the same infuriating thing. 'Bout wore out my starters cranking the hell out of it after sitting a week.

One thing I noticed with mine is that the carbs are not level--they tilt backwards about 5 degrees. That not only uncovers the accelerator pump well as the level of fuel drops (due to evaporation), it also uncovers the main jets where the gas comes in to the idle circuit. Furthermore, while on plane, that screwed up angle is even worse!

One of these days I'm going to add another wedge below the carb to tilt that sucker FORWARD about 5 degrees. That might be a big help since the gas remaining in the carb would now be in front, putting the accelerator pump well in the "deep end" of the pool (so to speak). And, while on plane, it might even be level for once!

Jeff

PS: I have one of those trick booster pumps that are open to flow with the power off, and push fuel with the power on. It's not USCG approved for marine use, so I'm hesitant to use it, even as a temporary boost pump."

"Both mine do the same thing,

"Both mine do the same thing, and the carbs are pretty exactly level. If I am taking out people, i'll start beforehand, so the boat doesn't appear to be somehow poorly maintained, or otherwise defective to others. My starters rust out far before they wear out. My car has 24 years and 350k miles of starts on the original starter. I guess i'm saying the advantage of getting oil pressure up before starting is more important to me than brush wear on starters that will need new housings long before they wear out."

"Jeff: You had mentioned the

"Jeff: You had mentioned the tilt about 3 weeks ago. I have those wedges as we wrote in another email...it still does not help...BUT, I am going to re-check my "level" next time I am there , just to see .

Dave: I like the thought you mention about others thinking your boat may be poorly maintained due to a slow start.... I did'nt really think of that but when you consider how most cars just hit the key for 1 second or so...the uninformed would easily think they are headed for a breakdown of some kind.

My starters are not rusted and seem to crank very well so this is not really my concern. I do hear my inverter charger fan start to kick in for a few moments after the crank while the engine is still not firing. That says she is trying to make up some big lost amperage.

I would like to get a solution to this annoyance..That's really all it is

I am thankful I can say that they run so well when warmed up. I also don't have the chokes wired in yet...which would help. It's just that I have not yet found the right 12V source."

"Al,
If I understand you righ

"Al,
If I understand you right you have no choke operating at this time? An old school method for thge choke thaat my buddy has used as long as I have known him is tie a string to the choke linkage and put it to choke. As I said, it is old school but he starts right up every time."

"Ah, the old choke string meth

"Ah, the old choke string method! Brings back memories.

I'm going to check the angle of my carbs again--I thought it was 5 degrees, but I'm not sure. (That's a lot of tilt!) If it's only a degree or two I'll not waste time and money on wedges. Thanks for the input!

Jeff"

"Hey Mark...THAT is the post..

"Hey Mark...THAT is the post...How you found it surprised me. I tried but got nowhere.

That problem has been with me for a few years now and after ALL of the work we have done to this boat, I thought : GEE, that would be a nice change to incorporate.

Had I been able to afford a newer boat at the time, I realize after this experience, It MIGHT have been the thing to do..BUT like anything else, it depends on WHO took care of it before you.

As I had said about some of those vintage motorcycles. Every owner had an idea about what was "cool" at the time. Some cut fenders, wires added aftermarket stuff here and there...you can't just go buy a new fender for a 1919 Indian as easily as it may have been 90 years ago

The crazy part is NOW..some of the 1950's aftermarket accessories are worth as much and the OEM originals. I THINK there is a Norman Rockwell painting of a kid standing in awe of a 1950's Harley Panhead decked out with jewels and lights and chrome, that bike today is a literal goldmine of parts. And they start easier than my BOAT !"

"the search engine is the key

"the search engine is the key to finding what didn't get saved to "my favorites".

You know, there is an easier solution that would provide significant other benefits, too....just make daily use of the vessel."

..."an outboard primer bal

..."an outboard primer ball comes to mind but I'm uncertain about this being an "approved use" of that device."

It's not approved if it's in the bilge.

Jeff

"I think Mark has the best sol

"I think Mark has the best solution...
Unfortunatley, beyond my current abilities despite the fact that it meets all safety standards and other parameters of the USCG, ABYC and USPS...not to mention it's a great idea !"

Back