Logo

What to do with Merc Sport Jet 90

veritas12

"Had boat out last weekend aft

"Had boat out last weekend after having fuel pump replaced by Sea Ray Dealer because the engine had been hydro-locked with fuel. Sea Ray checked everything out and said compression was good. Had boat out all weekend when on the way back to dock the engine just cut. (Doing about 35 mph.) Restarted engine and made it back to dock. Decided to play around with it a little and engine cut again when at full throttle. Started boat and took out of water. Took it back to Sea Ray who now tells me that on a leak down test, cylinder 3 is losing about 40% compression and I need a new motor. Boat was running great before and after engine had cut. Is it possible that a motor with one bad cylinder could run that well? They are telling me I need a new motor. Is there any rebuild options that are available. Boat still starts and will run until it gets to full throttle. Any Advice?"

william first id get a second

william first id get a second opinion on that compression most mech have a comp tester and its not hard to do . now in my opinion i dont think that is whats causing your boat to fall dead at wot. what are the sympyoms when she gets ready to quit or does she just quit?

also might want to give us Typ

also might want to give us Type/Size motor this will help these guys a great deal

steve

"yes of course there's reb

"yes of course there's rebuild options and as steve says, you may want to get a second opinion.

ps a Merc 90 sport jet is a 90hp outboard attached to a jet drive."

"There were no symptoms at all

"There were no symptoms at all. The best way I can describe what happened is it reminded me of when I am on jet ski and Lanyard pops off. Just Quit. The only thing I know about the engine is its a sportjet 90 two stroke. There was no noise, no smoke, no strange sounds. This particular mechanic told me he didn't even start the boat which I found strange cause I thought you had to run the engine for a while before performing leak down test. Of course I can do alot of things but I know nothing about marine mechanics which puts me in a bad position."

"William:

Try the "Outb

"William:

Try the "Outboard" section. You are in the 4 cycle Mercruiser I/O section.
uhoh.gif
"

Back