Logo

AQ 130 water in oil

jc1226

would popped freeze plug on si

would popped freeze plug on side of block up by manifold cause water in oil?? thanks

"No Joe, freeze plugs are actu

"No Joe, freeze plugs are actually designed to pop out and SOMETIMES keep you from busting the block. But, as we all know we are never that lucky. You could have a crack on the inside top of block letting water in or if you have a 4.3L GM design motor the intake manifold could be busted on the bottom. Just draining the drain plugs on the 4.3L still leaves water puddled in the intake freezing and leaking directly on top of the lifter galley. I would pull the intake while in the boat and I bet you will find the problem. Good luck"

"A popped frost plug plus wate

"A popped frost plug plus water in the oil is usually a sign of a cracked block. Sorry, but I think you are looking at another engine."

"As a comment:
'Freeze&#3

"As a comment:
'Freeze' plugs are not DESIGNED to pop out, they just pops out sometimes if the coolant freezes and expand.
What it is originally, is holes needed to support cores during casting of the block. Then the holes are 'sealed' with the plugs.
If these plugs pops out and You get water in oil, most likely an internal crack in the block."

thanks for the info i just aqu

thanks for the info i just aquired this boat and it had been sitting for about 5-10 years inside a non heated bLDg so i was just hoping it was not that serious. the motor is an AQ 130 so i guess i'll just part out the good stuff. it has 2 carbs wich seems to be pretty rare any thoughts on where to post the parts for sale??

one more question about this w

one more question about this water situation
is it possible that there was alot of condensation build up drom the temperture change over the years of this thing sitting dormat the oil level did not change on the dipstick it just turned milky. thanks again

"Joe, if you want to clear the

"Joe, if you want to clear the doubt, just change the oil and run the engine. If the block is cracked, you will find it soon enough. However, the problem you describe is common in raw water cooled engines like the AQ130, and since a freeze plug popped the block is likely cracked.

Not sure what model of AQ130 you have, but if it has the Solex downdraft carbs, those are pretty common.

There is a "free classifieds" section in the Marineengine site. Also, you can try eBay or Craiglist."

"EL, thanks for your help I am

"EL, thanks for your help I am new to this board and pretty new to boating I don't know much about this stuff. so i'll take your word for it and just part it out. the stamped number on the block is 69 09 so i was assuming that it is a 1969 year the valve cover says custom 130"

"Joe, don't take my word f

"Joe, don't take my word for it, as "likely" does not mean "for sure". Changing the oil and filter would cost you about $10-$20 and you will clear the doubt.

Chances are the block is cracked, but if it was my engine I would carry the test I mentioned prior to parting it out."

"OK I'll take your word fo

"OK I'll take your word for it "LOL" and do the test, dosen't hurt to try, who knows mabey I will be one of those lucky people"

"If you are lucky and the engi

"If you are lucky and the engine is good, please don't forget to buy a lottery ticket (and kindly share 50% of the prize with me if you win).
biggrin.gif
"

Back