Logo

99 Johnson erratic idle and stalling

fredt

"2001 9.9 Johnson remote contr

"2001 9.9 Johnson remote controls.

When the engine starts (cold), it idles really high (no tach) but over 1000 rpm I'm sure. Fast Idle lever (OMC Controls) is down (off).

After it warms up, it may still idle fast, or it may idle normal then eventually die.

After it is warm, sometimes it is hard to restart. Push key in to prime, fires, dies, then may start. Then it may idle low, and when you go to shift into gear, may just die like it cannot take the gas.

WOT runs great. Prolonged idle will die eventually.

Is this problem in the engine, or controls? Started doing this last year late and then was OK except fast idle that Marina set up. Now it is erratic back and forth."

"I'd look at fuel pressure

"I'd look at fuel pressure to start with. It has Ignition, and compression so that is out. Sounds like a carb/fuel problem somewhere. Float levels can do wierd things too and that should be easy to troubleshoot.

I like to work backwards by finding out what is good. In this case, after doing some fuel pressure checks, I would go into the carb and make sure it is good. I eliminate individual problem areas in stages. Keep it simple and just take one step at a time - not try and solve it by doing everything at once.
good luck!"

"The main problem with remotes

"The main problem with remotes on the 'old' 9.9/15 is the idle stop. Some of them has a screw under the armature plate, some not. Play in the cables makes it more or less a lottery how it ends up.
First step to solve Your problem is to install a proper idle stop on the linkage system/armature plate. Then have the engine properly adjusted.
Double check temp and thermostat. This engine needs a new impeller almost every year!"

"OUPS, I missed the model type

"OUPS, I missed the model type, You have the 'newer' one. Still be sure the idle stop works properly and cable play is not an issue. Still, double check thermostat system and impeller."

"Thanks Guys,

I'll take

"Thanks Guys,

I'll take a look at the idle stop. Never looked at that before. Water pump is new and has a good stream. Did not look at thermostat. I will try fuel pressure to start. When it starts to die I can pump the bulb and see if that makes a difference."

"Assuming that the compression

"Assuming that the compression is good and that the spark (with the s/plugs removed) will jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame..... a real SNAP!, and since this problem started taking place last year and has got worse, it's very possible that the carburetor has fouled little by little over the years.

If so, remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor. This would eliminate having the carburetor being any portion of the problem.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back