Logo

Chrysler 360 Exhaust Manifold Part question

dbrahms

Contributing Member
"On my starboard engine, I not

"On my starboard engine, I noticed a drip of hot water leaking out of the center exhaust port that leads into the log manifold. When hot enough, it steams. When I feel underneathe, there's a hole there with threads and it seems there is a bolt missing.

I say this because on the opposite motor, there is a bolt in that spot....and no drip.

Question is, why is there just a small drip coming from this area. Would it be gushing water when running a while?

Guess I can find a bolt and plug it up.}

the same spot where I suppose a bolt should be. If this bolt is totally missing, why is it only dripping slightly even after running a while? It is salt water because when it drips and steamed, there is salt residue when the h20 burns off.

on my port engine, there is a bolt that screws into the underside of the center exhaust "port" of the manifold. I found this because"

"I would guess that your manif

"I would guess that your manifold is clogged up with scaley rust chunks etc. that will typically accumulate in the area where this plug should be. Might be a good time to get a gasket set and remove those manifolds and get them cleaned. Also, the reason the plug is missing - the threads on my manifolds strip easily and won't hold the plug. You may have to re-tap - 1/8" NPT I think."

the threads seem to be intact.

the threads seem to be intact...as far as I can feel. Is the standard thread here 1/8" for sure?

"actually, there's no way

"actually, there's no way this bolt/plug is only 1/8. It's gotta be 5/16 or 3/8.

Anyone know for sure?"

I've seen that before. Yo

I've seen that before. You might have to pull the thing off to plug it.

Long as there's good metal there you should be okay.

Jeff

pull it off? the threads are

pull it off? the threads are there and seems to just need a bolt screwed into it.

or are you saying to pull it off if the threads are bad?

"If the threads are good, sure

"If the threads are good, sure--thread a bolt or a pipe plug (more likely) into it. if not, you might try tapping it--anything is better than ripping it off! But be sure there's enough metal left. I've seen them rot out in that area.

Jeff

PS: That's apparently some kind of low point drain. Not sure why they are put there since the plugs are impossible to remove after a while (unless that fall out)."

"I am in the process of redoin

"I am in the process of redoing my 318 with the log exhaust....I checked mine, and they are 1/8 national pipe thread....not SAE (society of auto engineers) thread...."

"Jeff, I bet the holes were le

"Jeff, I bet the holes were left in the manifold casting as a result of a support for the sand core.
. On my log exhausts (318 / 195 hp, Raw water cooled), the small 1/8 inch pipe plugs in the center of the manifolds eventually blew / rotted out (18 - 25 years). And it was an exhaust leak! Just like, as if there was a 1/4 inch hole in the manifolds, (and it has only been the center ones).
I found the plugs in the bilge in fair shape, but had to re tap the hole with a 1/8 pipe tap.

The first couple of years that I winterized her, I did pull the 1/8 inch plugs (just to be sure) but never got any thing out of them.

Now, just above them, in the centers (a little more to the outside of the engine) are some standard 1/4 inch pipe plugs that are into the water jacket of the exhaust manifolds.
I pull them as part of the winterization process.

Crappy camera phone pictures
PORT
282670.jpg
Port"">

STRB.
282671.jpg
Strb."">

Fred 156-M

(Only 37 days till Augusta, MI.)
http://www.michiganhydroplane.com/Members.html"

Back