Logo

GrayMarine AMC 327 Oil Lines

cal

Regular Contributor
"It's been a few years sin

"It's been a few years since I rebuilt this engine now and it still purrs like a kitten. Now I am going to install a remote oil filter, there was never a filter on the original engine. Question is looking at this picture do any of the "experts" know which line is the supply and which is the return. The lines that are on there now are for the oil cooler and it makes no difference which way the oil flows. I plan on installing the filter in-line before the cooler.
Cal"

"Sorry about the last post, th

"Sorry about the last post, the first picture was too big to download.
282424.jpg
Graymarine AMC 327 oil cooling lines

"Cal!
Let me look at the Gra

"Cal!
Let me look at the Gray I have out in the barn it's a V8CH 238. and I'll see which way the oil lines are routed to the remote filter. Also it does make a diference which way the oil is flowing in the cooler. To get proper cooling for the reverse gear the oil should flow against the flow of the water,in the cooler. Nice looking engine. I had a 1963 Lyman 25' inboard sleeper completely restored and had a Gray 188 with twin side draft Yh carb's I had the 3 piece intake manifold and the Valve covers chromed really turned out nice. The chrome sets off everything. If I get a chance I'l post a picture of my old Lyman."

"Cal,
In my manual GM 2089, f

"Cal,
In my manual GM 2089, flywheel forward, it shows the top port on the engine block oil adapter going to the closest attchment on the oil cooler. From the oil cooler to the "out" side of the oil filter. The bottom port on the engine goes to the "in" side of the oil cooler. In reading the installation guide for that installation , it wants you to make sure that the "out" side is in the center of the filter. I noticed a glass bowl on your fuel pump. Is that a marine pump?
Don"

"Yes the glass bowl is marine.

"Yes the glass bowl is marine. It is all original equipment. When I purchased the boat in '05 both the oil and transmission coolers were popped open from freezing. Since the opportunity presented itself I acid cleaned both cooler internals and reassembled them (soldered). Very simple setups, the water just flows around a honeycomb of small brass tubes, there actually is no "in" or "out" direction on the coolers per se. Once I find out which line is the supply I will go down to the local hydraulic fitting store and have a hose made up to fit the length I need.
Thanks."

"I found it. I had the specs a

"I found it. I had the specs and pictures right in my files and didn't know it. FYI here are directions for hooking up and piping a remote filter directly from the service manual
Cal
282573.jpg
Remote oil filter hookup

Re: "Cal!
Let me look at the Gra

I need some help........I just bought a 1965 Century Resorter and the engine is a Gray Marine V8CH 238........I have the engine out of the boat but won;t get at it for a few months........I know nothing about these engines and I'm wondering what you can tell me about them or can you suggest what to do to get information about them.......This is my first inboard and I can handle the restoration of the wood but I'm at a loss when it comes to the engine. Any help or advise you can provide will be very much appreciated........Thanks.

Back