Logo

Onboard oil tank over filling

wildcatt

"I have a 88 Excel 2.6L - 225

"I have a 88 Excel 2.6L - 225
intermittently the onboard tank will keep filling - past the upper level indicator. I've changed the gasket on the sensor, as I thought that might be cause. Seems to make no difference?
Any ideas?
What does that gasket do inside the small tank"

"Tom,

Just had the same pr

"Tom,

Just had the same problem on my saltwater series 200. It turned out to be the black box under the reserve tank. It regulates flow to the motor/tank from the main resevoir. Between $100-200."

I am having the same problem w

I am having the same problem with my 98 Vmax. There does not seem to be a signal back to the pump in the main tank to switch off that pump. The float in the top tank is sliding freely top to bottom. JIT what is the test you mention?

"HELP!!! OIL tank not filing.

"HELP!!! OIL tank not filing. Replaced pump, black box, filter. I can manually (with switch on motor) fill main oil tank. But it does not fill automaticly. What could it be?"

"I have a page from the Manual

"I have a page from the Manual that shows the various things that can cause this. Send me your email address and I will send you the page.
I had this happen as well and it turned out to be the wiring harness going from the boat to the engine. Over the years the wire had broken down. I had to replace about half of the the wires in the harness.

Tom
[email protected]"

I ended up solving this proble

I ended up solving this problem with thanks to Just in time. Do a test on the sender unit in the top of the oil tank on the powerhead. Turns out this is a common failure. Check that the 3 signals are coming from the sender unit. Or borrow another if you can to see if it solves your problem.

Hi Ian: I took my whole system

Hi Ian: I took my whole system apart. Cleaned (the float was sticking a bit) and re assembled. So far so good.
The other thing I found out (about the over filling) was that a low battery can cause problems. At the time this was all going on my battery was failing. I've since replaced the battery.

Good Luck - Happy Boating!

Tom!

especiallly if you have someon

especiallly if you have someone as knowledgeable of just-in-time to guide you. i for one would like to thank you for the time you put in this and other forums as it has been a big help to me.

"Hi: I'm a newbie with a v

"Hi: I'm a newbie with a very similar problem with my '86 150 Yamaha. On my first outing this year, I discovered that my oil pump will not stop running. I pulled the float switch out of the reservior mounted on the powerhead. The float seems to move freely, and I get the low oil alarm with the float out of the tank and the key swithed on, so I know I'm getting the proper signal for no oil...just can't figure out why I'm not getting a signal to shut off the pump. Can I check the float switch using a volt-ohm meter? Any other checks I can do without more sophisticated test equipment?
My motor is on a bass boat that is always garaged and never sees salt water, so I don't think I have any corrosion / bad connection issues.
Thanks,
Jim"

Back