Logo

More classic fifty help

"New gas tank, new fuel primer

"New gas tank, new fuel primer, revised fuel pump kit, proper inlet needles, rebuilt carbs, good tune.

Today I took the boat out to test it since I installed the revised fuel pump. Again, it idled and ran at low speed great but would not increase over 2500 rpm.

More detail: pushing the throttle forward to the first felt detent it runs fine. After the throttle is pushed past the first detent torward full throttle, you can hear the carbs open up but nothing happens. Back the throttle to the detent and its moving along fine at 2500rpm.

HOWEVER*** with my son at the wheel I have him push the throttle to full as I squeeze the primer bulb. The bulb is tight and full of fuel (not collapsed) but as I squeeze the crap out of the bulb, forcing fuel into the engine, the engine starts to take off like its supposed to but after a few seconds it dies back. I keep squeezing the bulb and the motor keeps trying to go.

Again, but bulb is tight (and only 6 months old) but when I squeeze it I have to put THE SQUEEZE ON IT! its tight,

So its obvious my problem is fuel flow, I need ideas! The foats are correct as the book states. The carbs are clean, tank and primer is new, the fuel pump was JUST rebuilt with the revised mercury kit. All fuel lines are new, inlet needles are factory mercury ones.

Im at a loss now! (again)

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Allthough my engine has a fuel pump on the engine, the twin carbs have what is called a integrated fuel pump on the sides of the carb bodies. Why do the carbs have these? how do they work? and could they be the problem?"

"barring things like fuel flow

"barring things like fuel flow restrictions in the line or the pump, maybe the pulse for the pump is weak.

Hows the engine compression?"

"Well due to the constant rain

"Well due to the constant rain I have been delayed on getting back on my OB.

Today I checked the pump vacuum,, it was great.

I next installed a clear fuel line just before the fuel pump and cranked the engine. Tons of air. It ended up almost all air right before the engine shut down.

I moved the clear hose at the tank and no air. It seems that the quick connect valve is letting air into the fuel system.

Off to the store. Wish me luck."

Back