Logo

Mariner 50 hp Year etc

bateye

"Hi ,, Im new to this forum,,

"Hi ,, Im new to this forum,, I have just bought a Mariner 50hp , Serial no, 9421352,, Want to know,, Year, Petrol mix, Weight, It was Made in Belgium,
Were these a good model? Anything I should look out for? Will be more questions im sure but only thing that I know with it at moment is the pull start is sticky and wont recoil properly,, Prob just needs lubricating,,

Cheers Chris NZ"

"Hello Chris, that's a 198

"Hello Chris, that's a 1985 model. Great motor and still in production outside of the US presently - so all kinds of parts and support from Merc.

She will weigh in at between 200 and 220 pounds depending on whether electric or manual start and if it has power trim.

Mix at 50:1 with TCW3 Marine 2 stroke oil and regular unleaded (86/87 octane or 91/92 RON - don't know which system you use in Kiwi Land)
"

"Sorry Chris, missed the bit a

"Sorry Chris, missed the bit about the pull start there. I have fired you over an email - pdf file that should help out with that..."

"Thankyou ,, Thats great ,, Th

"Thankyou ,, Thats great ,, Thankyou for the file as well ,, Motor older than i thought , however the fact its a current model sort of is good news ,, It is not electric start and because im going to take it up to Pacific Islands to use when I go there, Manual is better,
Congratulations on a truly great Forum, I belong to a similar one (South Wales Volvo) in the UK and they have extremly helpfull forums like this one ,, All good stuff,, One thing ,, How many cc are these 4cyl motors? and was the same block used in 40hp and 60hp?
Cheers Chris NZ"

"And no ,, it is not power til

"And no ,, it is not power tilt or trim ,, so will be the lightest in weight this model was made in presumably,,
Cheers Chris NZ"

Hang on a second Chris - are y

Hang on a second Chris - are you saying yours is a 4 cylinder model?

The Belgian built 50 with that serial was a 3 cylinder model. The last 4 cylinder 50 had a serial starting 9358...

A Belgian 4 cylinder with that serial would have been the 45 horse which became the 40 horse a couple years later when the horsepower rating changed from brake to shaft horsepower and remained in production as a 4 cylinder 40 Merc/30 Jetdrive...

"Well Graham it does have 4 pl

"Well Graham it does have 4 plugs,, lol,, Yes it is a 4 cyld, and defnitly all seems to be original, with the covers and the 50hp badge etc ,, Will pm you and give you site where I bought it and there is some photos of it,
Cheers Chris"

"Also,, do these motors withou

"Also,, do these motors without starters have any charging system fitted from new?
And again, what a fantastic wealth of knowledge and info this forum has, Graham and others are better than having a book,!!

Cheers Chris NZ"

"You do have an odd one there

"You do have an odd one there Chris. I rechecked my production lists against another source and that serial really should have gone on a the slightly newer 3 cylinder model.

1985 was a cross over year however. Merc brought out an entire new line for 1986, with alot of them obviously being produced in 85. So during the 85 model year you often see both the new and old design, they just usually keep the serials straight

So yours being 4 cylinders definately is the model that became the 45 horse in the 86 model year.

The 4 cylinders came from factory with two different stators, one for manual and one for electric start models. The electric model type definately had charge coils and a rectifier (standard merc 3 post style).

The original stator for the electric start is discontinued now, the manual version is very much available.

I do believe however, that this motor would be a candidate for one of the red stator retrofit kits from Merc.

However, unless your stator is shot, that would be an expensive process simply to supply 9 amps to charge a battery and in most cases probably not worth the cost."

"Thankyou Graham, So back to q

"Thankyou Graham, So back to question about (a) Were these 4cyl motors "Good Uns"? and how big cc wise are they ? And was the 3cyl similar cc for same hp? Trust me to get a strange one !!!
And will check out the chargeing system , as it not really important for my use,, (and if it would stop raining I will get out and get the thing going,
Cheers Chris NZ"

"I loved the 4 cylinders, bett

"I loved the 4 cylinders, better torque than either the twins or 3 cylinders in this horsepower class.

I'll have to dig into my "paper" manuals to get you the displacement.

However, the parts support is not as good as the 3 cylinder models, simply because they stopped producing the 4 cylinder sometime back in the 90's."

"Thanks Graham,, Was this moto

"Thanks Graham,, Was this motor made as a Merc? And the file you sent me on the Pull starter will be same or similar ,, now its a 4cyl model?
Cheers Chris nz"

"Yes, was built by Merc/Belgiu

"Yes, was built by Merc/Belgium and yes, the rope start assembly was the same for a number of what used to be "midrange" horsepowers.

Now, a 150 is considered "midrange" - I guess that makes my 2.5 horse an "ultra-mirco" model
"

"All good Graham ,, And I got

"All good Graham ,, And I got it going, altho just for a few seconds ,, took a bit to start, (Arm was tired) The choke linkage is missing, and it needed a fair bit of choking to fire,Will put muffs and water thru next time , But proved motor ok now,,
There is 2 yellowish wires going to a terminal, Are they the charging curcuit? and is that a/c or d/c and how do I test to see if chargeing system is still working ?
the steering arm is broken where the splined hole is and will weld that up and hopefully be able to remove from motor to do this, I see it has 2 bolts holding it on pivot base ,,
Again thanks for your expertise ,,
Cheers Chris NZ"

"Yes, the two yellows are from

"Yes, the two yellows are from the charging stator. They will terminate at either a simple isolator block (basically just a couple screws on the block) or they will hook up to a kinda diamond shaped thingy with 3 posts on it (rectifier).

If it has a rectifier the two yellows will connect up directly accross from each other and the free post will be the positive dc feed. The yellows themself carry AC from the stator.

However, if the rectifier is there and the motor was ever run without a battery hooked to it, the rectifier is probably fried. You can run it without having the battery connected or the power it (transforms) kills the rectifier."

"Ok, Thanks Graham, It is just

"Ok, Thanks Graham, It is just the 2 yellow wires going to a isolator block with screws,, so no rectifier, So wont bother with it, altho it prob means the stator is ok, just needs turning back to DC with Diode rectifier, Might go into that later, or when I see a dead motor i can get one from,, Will press on with getting motor on boat properly and checking water pump out so it can be given sea trial,,
Cheers Chris NZ"

"Yes, a standard Merc rectifie

"Yes, a standard Merc rectifier sells for about 30-35 bucks in the aftermarket.

The stator is most probably the 9 amp variety which is sufficient to keep a battery nicely topped up if it's feeding nothing more than a fishfinder, gps and radio..."

"Thanks Graham ,, As matter of

"Thanks Graham ,, As matter of interest,, That 9amps ,, is it regulated? Or is it just 9amps DC into the battery all the time ? And if I put a tester across those terminals , what readings would I expect to get? ,, (Obviously with motor going)
Cheers Chris NZ"

"On motors with a rectifier, t

"On motors with a rectifier, the 9 amps in neither regulated or static.

You will get 13-14 volts DC at 9 amps at wide open. At idle you still get 13-14 volts, but barely an amp.

On "rectified" systems, the "battery" becomes the regulator, which is why it must always be hooked up whenever the motor is running.

That's why personally, I wouldn't equip a motor with a charge stator/rectifier if it wasn't already there.

The only time it's really providing any significant charge to the battery is when you have the throttle cranked - so fine if you have a 2 or 3 hour run to the cottage or fishing ground or whatever. But a day of trolling or running in a no-wake zone provides less than a trickle charge and will not even replace the amount of power sucked by even a few electronic gadgets.

So if it's already there fine, but to spend 300 bucks or more to install the system seems excessive to me. A good battery charger (on shore) can quickly recharge the battery at the end of the day..."

"Thanks Graham,, This explains

"Thanks Graham,, This explains a problem with a boat that was trolling with a similar smaller engine a few years back , and I had wondered how oatboards were set up , regards to charging system,, And I agree, a shore base charge up is the best option compared to spending $$ on charging electrics,, spend it on more fuel to go further or fishing gear,, Lol,,
Cheers Chris NZ
ps Im now useing those little hand held depth - fish finders with spare AAA batterys, Great things !!"

Back