Logo

57 GXI starter motor removal

lakemac

I have a volvo penta 5.7gxi wh

I have a volvo penta 5.7gxi which I am trying to get the starter motor out of.I have removed what seems to be the 2 mounting bolts and the thing still won't come loose. Any ideas as to what may be holding this in??. It is loose and has moved back around 25mm(1 inch)but it just won't budge any further.
PS.I tried posting a similar topic yesterday but it doesn't appear to have made it to the forum. My apologies if I have duplicated this topic.

"I think El P is correct. OEM&

"I think El P is correct. OEM's use a Bracket!

Just an FYI... assuming that you are replacing this......, consider one of the PMGR or HTGR starter motors.
They kick butt over an OEM straight drive motors.

Here is one from Sierra - #18-5919 at Go2Marine, but you can find them for under $100 at times and via a few e-bay sellers.
http://www.go2marine.com/docs/8/5/1/6/85166F-p.jpg""

Thanks guys for your quick res

Thanks guys for your quick response.Unfortunately I can't get to the link you have posted re: the"bracket". All I can offer is that the starter is mounted against a steel "gasket" which may have something to do with the reason why it doesn't want to budge.This "gasket" is held in place by a bolt threaded through to the bellhousing 3/8th (or 9mm)which I have removed to no effect.Any more clues???

"Look at part #5 at the bottom

"Look at part #5 at the bottom left side of the picture. The bracket is secured to the block by bolt #6 and to the starter by nut #9.

Regarding you not being able to open the link on my first post, you may have to use a proxy server if you are connected to the Internet from Australia.

282374.gif
"

"I removed mine two days ago a

"I removed mine two days ago and it was just as El described. Take the bolt off the engine block part #6, which also acts as ground. Then remove the two bolts on the bottom, part 2&3 in the bottom left picture and out it comes."

Thanks El Pescador for your di

Thanks El Pescador for your diagram as I cannot open that link no matter what I try. I forgot to say the engine is a 2004 EFI model.This is not the correct diagram for my engine.I am certain part #5 is not there and bolt #3 is about 3 inches long. Bolt #2 bolts in from the bell housing side as well. I have not had a chance to get back to it this week but I will try again at the weekend.(now the bruises have gone from laying on top of the motor all of last weekend)

"Greg, I know this is not your

"Greg, I know this is not your engine model, but it is the only diagram I could find showing a bracketed starter. You may want to use a mirror or a digital camera to find out if there is something other than the two bolts (#2 and #3 in the diagram) keeping the starter in place."

"WOW!!! , was considering the

"WOW!!! , was considering the mirror option but never thought of the camera.Great idea will take some pics tomorrow and let you know."

Success!!!Stuck my digital cam

Success!!!Stuck my digital camera down in the bilge under the starter and found another bolt approx 3 inches long.Thanks guys for all your tips.The solenoid seems to be open circuited.The rest seems in very good condition.
Thanks again.

Back