Logo

Catepillar 3208 governor springs

jpicco55

"I replaced a governor shaft s

"I replaced a governor shaft seal on my cat 3208 ta 375 hp. The engine runs fine but won't idle below 725 rpm or the engine rpm will fluctuate up and down. It should be about 625 rpm. Is there an adjustment for this or did I put the springs in the governor back in the wrong order? I tried adjusting the "idle set screw" but it had no effect. The governor has three springs in it, two are obvious but the third is a very light small spring which the local tech said should go at the front of the shaft. I think it may go to the rear of the shaft which is why the engine now "hunts" at idle. The engine diagrahm I received from the dealer is not clear. Does any one have any experience with this? I can go back and change the light spring but it is a massive job and I don't want to do it if I don't have to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks JP"

Re: "I replaced a governor shaft s

How did you resolve this issue?

"I replaced a governor shaft seal on my cat 3208 ta 375 hp. The engine runs fine but won't idle below 725 rpm or the engine rpm will fluctuate up and down. It should be about 625 rpm. Is there an adjustment for this or did I put the springs in the governor back in the wrong order? I tried adjusting the "idle set screw" but it had no effect. The governor has three springs in it, two are obvious but the third is a very light small spring which the local tech said should go at the front of the shaft. I think it may go to the rear of the shaft which is why the engine now "hunts" at idle. The engine diagrahm I received from the dealer is not clear. Does any one have any experience with this? I can go back and change the light spring but it is a massive job and I don't want to do it if I don't have to. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks JP"

Back