Logo

Spring Nightmare

marlinbri

"I put my boat away for the se

"I put my boat away for the season last year 12/17/08 running like a top. Gave it to the marina to winterize, and everything was fine. Put her back in this past Saturday, and neither engine starts. Both have spark and fuel. Both myself and the Marina did a compression test and all cylinders on both engines are high 150- 170 which should be 120-140.

has anyone ever experienced this problem before, this is a new one for me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Brian"

"Usual cause for CR to increas

"Usual cause for CR to increase is due to carbon build up in the chamber. If it is present in all cylinders and both engines most likely due to the fuel burnt and its residue over time. That CR shouldn't keep them from starting unless it prevents the engine from spinning over. Could also be due to engine not being tuned accurately/frequently enough.

I'd bet the fuel has broken down. One easy way to tell is to replace the fuel source, temporarily."

"I'm no winterize expert,

"I'm no winterize expert, never have; but I'd second the idea to use a new, different fuel source. Then, i'd look at the plugs, perhaps oil fouled from fogging."

Mine take at least 2 minutes o

Mine take at least 2 minutes of cranking before the carbs fill with gas. Perhaps that's your problem as well?

Jeff

Thanks guys. I thought about

Thanks guys. I thought about that but I put fresh fuel in the tanks frequently and Starton as well when required. We average about 200-250 hours a season and maintenance is certainly a priority. I will give it a shot anyway at this point.

"A few things my friend just r

"A few things my friend just reminded me to mention. All plugs, wires, cap and rotors where changed on both engines. Both engines are cranking strong, in fact the starters where recently changed as well. When we tried starting fluid we got back pressure up out of the throttle body. I really thought that it could be a winterization problem and the valves where frozen closed."

"back pressure out of the inta

"back pressure out of the intake? Did the engine run after both starters were replace? As in, are the engines definately cranking in the correct direction? If there is spark and starting fluid and compression; then that doesn't seem to leave much...You can try a timing test on #1 plug during cranking."

"Dave,

Interesting concept.

"Dave,

Interesting concept. No the engines did not run after the starters where changed it was dry docked. We removed the starters one at a time and marked them accordingly. The supply house also matched them up and marked them one at a time as well. Would the starters even bolt up if they where crossed and also would the engines even crank as well?"

"Yes, the only difference is i

"Yes, the only difference is internal wiring inside the starter. The stator is electrically reversed from the rotor."

"Thanks Dave!

They mave cro

"Thanks Dave!

They mave crossed the part numbers at the supply house. I will let you know.

Thanks to all you guys, this site is great!"

"The starter's gear has it

"The starter's gear has its bevels cut "backwards" as well, at least when the correct part is installed.

Just watch the engine when it is cranked for 'proper' rotation. The serial number plate used to prefix the number with LH or RH to indicate rotation."

"Well isn't the starters e

"Well isn't the starters either. Serial number plates where not their, but checked the manual and port was LH CCW and starboard was RH CW when facing the front of the engine so we where correct. I may have to have the local Crusader guys come in, this is really strange.

I will let you know. Thanks again for eveyone's help."

"There has been a lot of work

"There has been a lot of work done to both engines since last startup. I think i'd check cranking timing on #1. If starting fluid doesn't make fire and you have good compression and spark, then something simple and easily fixed is wrong."

Brian:

Are you sure about y

Brian:

Are you sure about your 'rotation reference? The "facing the front of the engine" is the concerning phrase - are you looking at the flywheel end of the engine when making this assessment?

"OK, this might help, might no

"OK, this might help, might not, had an old mustang, same problem, had a corroded harness wire,wasnt obvious to see it but found it with a mulitmeter, needle in a haystack, if you know what i mean. I'm pretty sure they were the wires that connected tot the distributor, but is was a long time ago...."

"The 'standard' descri

"The 'standard' description for marine engine rotations call for you to be at the flywheel end of the engine, looking towards the pulleys. In this position, CW flywheel rotation + RH and CCW flywheel = LH. See crusader pub (or any other OEM); I've got a PDF snapshot i can email if needed."

"Here's the pic from the t

"Here's the pic from the thermoelectron installation guide:

282697.jpg
flywheel

should be port engine. The to

should be port engine. The tops of the props should be rotating "outwards" in 99% of inboards.

"Port usually. there is one ex

"Port usually. there is one exception, for a velvet drive with a 2:1 or a 2.5:1 reduction; it runs with input and output out of phase. (Major Tom knows and may give us a definitive answer.)"

"So, the left hand engine ccw

"So, the left hand engine ccw port should turn out
to port, and the rh engine should turn out to starboard. So if facing the flywheel the belt should spin the same way out to port in this picture.

We swapped the starters and got nothing and the spark was also weaker that way more amber not blue.

I think I will take up ping pong, fisherman don't golf and this is insane."

"If the boat has V-Drive trans

"If the boat has V-Drive transmissions, then both engines rotate the same direction. The transmission reverses the direction for each side.
star.gif
"

"Good morning All,

First an

"Good morning All,

First and foremost thank you all for you help and your input. I learned quite a bit from all of your knowlegable suggestions. Before giving up, I took one more shot based on Makomark's and Diverdave's suggestion. The engines where rotating in the wrong direction. Luckily I saved the boxes as the supplier had marked them and found out they where matched up incorrectly by them. I then switched the starters and had the marina redo the timing on the number one plug and both engines started immediately. I can only be thankfull no damge was done as the engines did not suck in water as of right now anyway. My boat is in my slip and just about ready to start fishing. I think one or two close bass trips before running off shore for the big boys just to be safe.

Once again thanks to all and have a great and safe boating season."

"Glad you stuck it out and hav

"Glad you stuck it out and have something to enjoy.

FWIW, the auto side defines things 'backwards' from the marine side. Add to that the different starter installation options and its real easy to get 'reversed'. Also, mark the starter's rotation permanently on it's case, now; when they need work in the future, there will be no doubt as to which way they spin.

You may also want to verify those starter drive gears have the proper chamfer on them....may be a PITA now but it beats changing the flywheels in the middle of August."

Back