Logo

Block Leak

ajpe

"Recently purchased a 1997 boa

"Recently purchased a 1997 boat with 350 V8 and realized today that I have a weeping block leak about 2" above the block drain on right side. There is a rust stain down over block. You can dry it off and immediately you see a drop of water appear and start to run down the block. Also, on the left side there is a stain in the same spot that appears like it leaked but it is currently not wet. I know this boat has been fresh water used for the last four years but before that I'm not sure. Any thoughts on this issue or what I should do with it would be appreciated. Thanks"

"You bought a boat whereby the

"You bought a boat whereby the engine is "Raw Water Cooled". It was not properly winterized and the block has freeze cracked!

I'm all for a proper replacement on things like this, However.... some have had good luck with a proper, clean, well mixed and well prepared epoxy type temporarly fix on the cracked areas.

I'm just mentioning this to you..... I'd replace the block!

."

Do you think this is definitel

Do you think this is definitely from improper winterization or is it possibly corrosion from salt water use at one time? I didn't know if this was possible salt water corrosion and the entire block could have problems. It seems to replace the block could be as much as the boat is worth. I'm seeing engines without manifolds for about $3500 and I would think it would be $2k to have someone change everything out. When you say proper clean would you grind clean with a dremel then use like JB Weld or what's your ideas? Thanks for your thoughts.

"Well, hard to say! Water does

"Well, hard to say! Water does expand with enormous pressure when it freezes... so this is very likely!

Again.... this isn't a repair that I would endorse or recommend professionally, but I have heard of these repairs lasting for years once the "fix" has been done!

Yes, you would prep the immediate area.... rough it up to creat some "Bite" for the epoxy...... I've even heard of some drilling some small holes for the epoxy to bite into.

JB Weld is one that I have heard being used for this. Application conditions, mixutre, temperature and prep are all key to a good bond.

As a precaution if you do this..... install a large bilge pump w/ a remote float switch and tie an alarm or warning light into the lead at the helm.

."

Back