Logo

Carb High Speed Needle Valve Leak 1962 10HP Johnson

tims_10hp

"I just rebuild the carb. on a

"I just rebuild the carb. on a 1962 10HP Johnson QD-23. The high speed needle valve is slowly leaking fuel between the needle itself and the packing bushing/nut. I have tightened the bushing to the point that I practically cannot rotate the needle valve, but there is still a slow leak. When I rebuilt the carb. I made sure to clean everything out and installed two fiber packing washers as shown in the OEM parts diagram. The fuel only leaks when the engine is off. The engine runs excellent, but the leak is annoying. Any idea on a fix? I thought about adding another packing washer, but first wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks... Tim"

"The packing washers I origina

"The packing washers I originally used were in a rebuild kit from Sierra Marine. They were a very hard red fiber washer. I ordered new ones in a 10 pack from Sierra Marine and those were much more pliable and gray/brown in color. I put 3 of those in the high speed needle cavity, reassembled everything, and the leak was reduced. I tightened up the packing nut and the leak was reduced further. I am not sure how tight to make the packing nut. I can still turn the needle using the knob, but it is tight. There still seems to be a little gas leaking, but only a tiny amount between the needle and the brass tube. Should I have used a grease or sealant of some type with the packing washers? I might just replace the packing washers with Viton o-rings and nylon 6/6 washers. Any thoughts?"

"The brass locking nuts/sleeve

"The brass locking nuts/sleeves should be tight enough so that the needle valves do not change their position due to viberation, but not so tight that they can't be turned by hand.

The purpose of the brass locking nut is to compress those packing washers. I suspect that possibly you aren't tightening them enough?

The normal part number for those packing washers are 307583, available at any dealership.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back