Logo

DT 140 running hot

capt_tony

"I have got a 1998 DT 140 that

"I have got a 1998 DT 140 that is running hot. Have replaced impeller and base plate, also flushed engine to check for flow. There is no flow when in the water running put it on the cups then have flow and no over heating. Ideas???

Thanks!"

How did the problem start. All

How did the problem start. All of a sudden or after you replaced the impeller. What did the exhaust bridge look like when changed the pump. It's under the pump and it seals out the exhaust.

"The other day the motor overh

"The other day the motor overheated sitting at the dock during warm up prior to heading out, but had noticed on the last couple of trips that it seemed to not be peeing as much as in the past. Figured it was as simple as needig a new impeller kit. I have noticed that it seems to be puffing air out the pee hole when there is no water flow which I thought was strange. Not sure about the exhauat bridge, but will check into it.

Last year had problems when the wrong plugs were istalled, during the course of the shop working on it they broke two of the bolts in the thermostat cover, then found that the running problems were the plugs. Based on the problems I had with the shop I picked up the boat, had to R&R the heads send to machine shop to get bolts out, they broke off flush with the head. When I had the heads off I found that the zinc anode had been left out so I replaced that along with all the gaskets and thermostat. Ran boat a couple of times then ran into this problem. My mechanical background is that I was an ASE Certified Mechanic in the 80's and 90's injured my neck and shoulder then moved into management, so I have the skills and tools to do the work, just not as much time. There is not a Suzuki shop in my area so here I am working on it myslef!

Thanks for the help!"

"Could it be #13 water pressur

"Could it be #13 water pressure valve? http://store.brownspoint.com/dt140/fig001-1408601.asp I have heard of a bad one causing overheating problems but I don't know the symptoms. I replaced the one on my DT140 when I swapped power heads with my blown DT115. It was only around $15 and I figured I may as well do it while the power head was off. I hope this helps."

"usually the pressure valve wi

"usually the pressure valve will be a higher rpm over heat, but that is on all outboards but maybe suzi

i would check them out"

Here are three things to look

Here are three things to look for.

Broken water tube? Bad exhaust bridge under the water Pump. Could be a bad base gasket too.

"Robert, you hit the nail on t

"Robert, you hit the nail on the head with the exahaust bridge. It was pushed all the way into the water jacket just below the water pump!

I wish that your shop was close by, you would have new customer!

I checked your web site but could not find a place to order parts. Do you do mail order parts?"

"Sweet.<[img]"http://www.marin

"Sweet.
biggrin.gif
glad that helped.

That is the old website we are currently working on a new one. Just so busy sometimes it's hard to keep up. You can call anytime to order parts if you like. I can get you anything you want plus some free advice to go along with it.

Browns Point is the most complete online Suzuki store. Paul is a great guy and I have known him for close to 20 yrs now. He is very honest and sincere and he pioneered that whole Suzuki parts online. I can still remember when he was setting that all up. We thought the internet was a joke at the time. Talk about hind site being 20/20. I hope to launch our store before the end of the year and be ready for 2010.

Thanks Capt Tony catch em-up"

Marion not to be sarcastic but

Marion not to be sarcastic but it is exactly what I called it.

It's a rubber grommet supported by a ss plate with a alum cover that seals the exhaust from the cooling system at the pump. It is mostly overlooked when the water pump is done and most people don't understand what it dose. All DT140s/115s had them and they are used in various HP's by other manufacter's as well.

You may not always find it refered to as exhaust bridge or seal. I call it that because it sit's on a support or bridge that seals the exhaust form the cooling system at the water pump.

Hope that helps.

"I think I know what you are t

"I think I know what you are talking about. I believe Suzuki calls it the exhaust seal. It can be used with or without the sub-water tube. I have replaced a few of these on lower units that I have reworked because of the corrosion around the rubber. It was easier to rip it out and replace it than try to carefully remove it. Besides, they were rotten and cracked anyway."

"yep

i was traied on all th

"yep

i was traied on all the new df's from 2002-2005

im sending you an email about some things, maybe we can help each other out!"

Back