Logo

Perko switch and Tachometer not reading correctly

risingsun

"I have two new batteries all

"I have two new batteries all going through a Perko switch. When I switch to #1 and turn the key I see the usual yellow, red and green lights just before I start the motor. Then they all go out and I have no juice. If I go back to the Perko and use #2 all the three lights are on then it starts with the green light staying on. The same if I go to the "both" on the Perko switch. While running in idle my tachometer is showing 3,000 rpm at idle and will slowly peg the tachometer as I increase the throttle. Everything worked OK originally but the last outing showed the above issues. Could it be a faulty Perko switch causing a drain thereby causing a voltage drop? The tachometer has 2 blk, 1 grn, 1 blue wire plus the wiring for the red, yellow and green lights. The motor is Yamaha 175 ETXH which is 1987 on a CABO 216 CuddyCON"

are the negative sides of both

are the negative sides of both batteries connected together?

did you just install new batteries or did you just expand your setup to add the switch and second battery?

check the tach to see if the selector switch is in the correct position. brand of tach? is it new or been installed for a while?

"Yes both negative are tied to

"Yes both negative are tied together. I replaced both batteries three months ago. The boat came equipped with a Perko Switch and two type 27 batteries. I have not added any other devices to the system at this time.

I removed the Perko switch and found the nuts lose. Re tightened all three and now #1 switch as well as the others are working OK. I still have the problem with the tachometer not reading correctly. When I do turn the key off, the dial arm does go back to zero.

The tachometer is the original Yamaha brand."

"Glad the bad connection issue

"Glad the bad connection issue is resolved.

May be time for a replacement tach. If you have a slip mate with the same part, maybe you can swap temporarily, to verify what's bad. May also want to verify all connectors between engine and tach are tight and clean"

"Thanks Makomark. From what I

"Thanks Makomark. From what I gather, if the arm settles back to zero when the key is off most often it's a ground issue. I always use corrosion Block during and after working with wires. This stuff really works well along with 3M Scotchkote electrical coating. Unfortunately for me my friend who has the same year and model CABO216 already converted his Tachometer when he re-powered his boat with Yamaha 200 HPDI motor. The Tachometer came with the motor purchase. I only have 755 hours on mine so hope to get a lot more use before I need to re-power. I plan on keeping this boat forever. It took me years to find one in decent shape. The only wire not replaced is the harness which from what I see now is next. I used Ancor tinned wire through out installation. Big cost but I use the boat mostly in salt. Photo of my boat
282337.jpg
282338.jpg
Rafted next to my friends boat while Sturgeon fishing.

"Sounds like you have a good h

"Sounds like you have a good handle on a reasonable approach to wiring.

I'd be inclined to pull the tach and take it to a dealer before replacing the harness - probably much quicker. I remember those black outboards I used to work on had diodes in the alternator circuit; I one went bad, it would mess up the tach reading. May want to check the engine's wiring diagram to see if that's a possibility. They are also called rectifiers and are small potted boxes, with a pair of yellow wires and a red wire."

"I found it Makomark!!! I did

"I found it Makomark!!! I did as use mentioned earlier. I removed the Tachometer and found the rubber grommet which I was told to check and see if it was on the correct setting. Anyway, I decided to turn it back and forth a few times and sprayed a little of the corrosion blocker and re-installed. I did the same to each of the female/male plugs under the console and then went back to the motor and removed the cover and re-tightened all the screws then applied the blocker to all the terminal block including the male/female plugs. Hurray, I'm back in business. The Halibut are waiting for me in the San Francisco Bay. I hope to get after them next week. Thanks again Makomark, you were a great teacher."

Back