Logo

Shun the frumious bandersnatch and which IOs

barato

Contributing Member
"i'm buying the tabla rasa

"i'm buying the tabla rasa this weekend.... 22' Fiberform deep-v hull, 1971 vintage, which once had an I/O but now has big hole in transom.

soliciting opinions on which motor/outdrive combinations to look for and which to avoid. if i understand correctly, mounting arrangement may tell me what it used to have; what should i be looking for there? finally, has anyone ever had any experience with building an external motor well for an outboard conversion?
THANKS for all info/opinions/invective/rants/whatever!"

"I can tell you what not to pu

"I can tell you what not to put in
I also have a 22 ft fiberform that currently has a aq170 with a 280 outdrive. Junk. I was wondering what you did with your boat? Did you find something that worked and did you consider converting to an outboard? I am in the same spot and as I hate to ask a question about a question that is all I have."

"Joshua--
purchase got vetoed

"Joshua--
purchase got vetoed by the Executive Branch (wife). but i've done some research on outboard conversions and it looks pretty feasible to build and install a transom extension "box" on a formerly-I/O boat, esp if you're already doing transom work like replacing rotted core or filling outdrive hole. needs to be seriously beefy and tied into stringers of course. i personally think most outboards won't have the longevity of a Chevy inline six and cost more to rebuild, so i'm not sure i'd pursue this option. and that's totally aside from Qs of liability insurance on such a home built conversion, if you boat where that's required."

Back