Logo

318 water leak

stuart

Hello - I have a problem with

Hello - I have a problem with my port engine

Put boat in water - engine started right up.

The engine is GUSHING water right from the bell housing - right where there is a rubber rectangular plug - (timing marks)

I assume that the block has cracked but last fall I drained both engines so I dont understand

I dont see water in the oil but then I havent run the engine very much

Any thoughts will be appreciated

Timing Marks...? If it's i

Timing Marks...? If it's in the back were the bell housing bolts on it could be just a freeze plug. There's a couple inside there.

Yes - I believe that it is fre

Yes - I believe that it is freeze plug - that is why the water is gushing out.

I believe that it is possible to repair this problem with the boat in the water. My biggest concern is removing the transmission.

If someone has tackled this type of job before I would appreciate any comments that you may have.
(good or bad - Thankyou

"Never done it, but those who

"Never done it, but those who have say it's not too bad. Need to raise and block the motor up, then pull the rear mounts and the trans. It's light enough for two good men to handle (and I'm sure you're one of them!)

Jeff"

"I tackled this very problem l

"I tackled this very problem last year. Yes you can certainly do it in the boat, but make sure you have something to use as a lift. You'll need to uncouple the drive shaft, pull the rear motor mounts, loosen the front motor mounts and hoist the rear of the motor upwards until you have room to remove the transmission. Make sure you block the motor in the raised position before you pull the trans. Once off you can the remove the bell housing, flywheel etc., until you expose the two freeze plugs - and be sure you change both while you're in there. Assuming you kept your hardware in nice neat piles, it should go back together in about half the time. Good luck."

"Thankyou for your reply, I st

"Thankyou for your reply, I start this adventure this weekend

Can you tell me if there is any difficulty in removing the flywheel and are there any seal replaecments involved.

Thankyou"

"No, but that sucker goes back

"No, but that sucker goes back on one way only, so mark the orientation before you remove it.

Note: There's a couple of bolts that go thru the housing way down low, so be prepared. Easy to miss them.

Jeff"

Back