Logo

Electric Fuel Pumps

mike_wilson

I am installing Carter marine

I am installing Carter marine electric fuel pumps on my 1972 LM318's. Where can I connect the 12V leads so that the pumps run when the ignition key is turned to the on position? The pumps are located near the distributor. Thanks!

"Use the feed to the ballast r

"Use the feed to the ballast resistors. Either that, or run a new wire from the ignition switches.

Note: You need to run the pump power through an oil pressure switch that cuts the pumps off when the engines aren't running. This is both USCG required and an important safely issue.

Jeff"

Fastjeff: Thanks for the repl

Fastjeff: Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you brought up the USCG shutoff. That makes excellent safety sense and I had not considered it. I'll wire them up accordingly. Thanks again!

"Mike what model carter are yo

"Mike what model carter are you installing? I am looking at replacing a mechanical with p4600hp. I looked at Jeggs, for interest, and can buy in Australia for about the same price post currency conversion [ no factoring postage ]. This price similarity is not common. Usually US less than Australia."

"I bought mine on ebay last fa

"I bought mine on ebay last fall. Paid around $70 each new. They do not have a carter label on them but were advertised to be exatcly the same so I can't give you a carter model number. Follow this link to see what mine look like: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MARINE-UNIVERSAL-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-ROTARY-VANE-D ESIGN_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a 1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a2Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3ca04e6b 5bQQitemZ260387531611QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear. The price has gone up considerably!"

"Why not stay with the cheaper

"Why not stay with the cheaper and more reliable stock mechanical pump? Why add a bunch more parts that can fail (oil switch, relay, wiring, etc)? I have always carried a spare stock pump but never needed it.

Dan"

"Dan:

The reason is that, l

"Dan:

The reason is that, like me, he's sick to death of having to crank and crank his motors to get them to start (after sitting a week--a common marine engine problem). With electric pumps--properly set up!--one can wheel the motors over a few times to make damn sure there's no water in the cylinders, then hit a momentary button to energize the electric fuel pumps directly. After 5 or 10 seconds the carbs are now full and the motors start right up! Beautiful.

Jeff"

"Thanks for the info, I was wo

"Thanks for the info, I was wondering why anyone would convert. Are your carbs leaking dry between use? My engines only have to crank for maybe 10-15 seconds even after an extended sit and that just gets the oil pumping.

Dan"

"I have two new Edelbrocks yet

"I have two new Edelbrocks yet they do it every time--and even if I run the motors for a few seconds after they cool down, but before leaving the boat for a week. Very frustrating.

Jeff"

"I have only one engine. Start

"I have only one engine. Starting procedute is as follows. 1. remove flame retarder. 2. diss engage auto choke. 3. prime carbie with fuel. 4. repossion flame retarded correctly. Crank over. Repeat untill motor stops starving of fuel and stays running. Usually on 2 / 3 rd process. I have no objections to doing this [ SAFETY }.. The motor is on idle arround 650 RPM. and runs like a sewing machine. Just the same after a run, i sit the motor in idle for about 3 / 5 minutes for it to settle down and relax. Motors are no different to us HUMANS. We cause about the same number of problems. Frederick."

"There you go! Obviously, your

"There you go! Obviously, your carb is dry empty as well. Weird. I'm tempted to plug the exhaust crossover passage under the carb and see if that helps. Chryslers seem to suffer this BS more than Chevies.

Jeff"

"Could that be an Edelbrock is

"Could that be an Edelbrock issue....?

My old Holley sits for weeks and one or two pumps and it fires almost instantly.

Now that I said that........
snow.gif

Jack"

"Mine is an old two bdl carter

"Mine is an old two bdl carter. The problem occurs if prolonged sitting, In constant use i have no problems. Still like to start without auto choke engaged."

"I got my electric fuel pumps

"I got my electric fuel pumps installed. Did not know that they had to be mounted with the ports down and the cannister up. I had them mounted sideways to fit where I wanted them but this caused erratic fuel flow and led to the engines stalling out. Also, had to prime them to get gas flowing. They work great."

Back