Logo

b78 225 hp IO starter pic

floater1

Regular Contributor
I had marked and labeled the w

I had marked and labeled the wires that hook up to the starter before I yanked the motor for paint. The tape I used came off over the winter and now I'm not exactly sure how to hook the wires back up. I even took a pic of the starter before I took the wires off and I mistakenly erased it off my camera so now I have no reference. Does someone have a pic of their starter with all the wires hooked up? The main hot and ground I can figure out but its the rest of the small wires I'm not so sure about.

The diagram is helpful but any

The diagram is helpful but any chance someone has an actual picture of their starter all wired up?

"[b]"but its the rest of t

""but its the rest of the small wires I'm not so sure about."

Ayuh,...
The Small 1 from the Key goes to the motor-side small terminal...
The Small wire to the motor goes on the Outside small terminal..."

"if your setup is anything lik

"if your setup is anything like mine, this is how it should be. i just put my motor back in. there should be 4 things you have to re-hook up when you put the engine back in. there are 2 wire harnesses that connect via plug. (mine was a large blue plug, and a small black plug. then there should be a 2 main lines (hot, and ground) that come from the batt. the black one goes to a good ground on the block somewhere. the red goes to the back of the number 1 solenoid. (solenoid 1 should be the first one on the starboard side) the big red wire that comes off the back of solenoid one should go to the post on the starter. i will try and take, and post pics of mine later. hope this helps. good luck"

"Thanks guys for trying to exp

"Thanks guys for trying to explain it but to me a picture is worth a thousand words. I had taped and labeled each connector when I took it apart last fall but my cheap masking tape fell off over the winter so I was back to square one. Not like its rocket science only a couple of wires but just didn't want to risk frying anything if I didn't hook them up properly. I winged it and after hooking the wires up as you see I was able to turn the engine over. http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL1495/10413626/18646395/363768883.jpg" Does it look correct to you guys?

Now going to hook all the electric back up. Again my penchant for cheap dollar store masking tape may back fire as some of those fell off to. Don't get me wrong I love this boat but for not being a modern electronically controlled engine, this '78 sure seems to have alot of solenoids and wires."

Back