Logo

Replacing an Evinrude Steering Control Arm

witches_bru

"I have a 1997 Evinrude 115hp

"I have a 1997 Evinrude 115hp engine (E115TSXEU). The steering control arm is badly rusted and I need to replace it. Would like to do it myself. Doesn't look too complicated. Once I remove the lower unit, and remove the mid section and power head, does the control arm just lift right out?

Can anybody offer any assistance?"

"Your approach is correct , at

"Your approach is correct , at the bottom of the steering arm is huge nut it can be tough if really rusted. Please be sure to use anti seize lubricant on all bolts during installation
Here is what I did
Leave the engine on the Boat
Remove the lower unit (replace the water pump if you can afford it)
Disconnect the fuel hose and disconnect all wires and shift cables.
Remove the cowling and use a engine hoist or rent one and attach it to the flywheel or use canvas straps and secure it to the engine.
If you have Tilt and Trim and Sender for position gauge you will have to disconnect the wires.
Simply hoist the engine up just enough the tighten the straps and hold some load.
Loosen not remove during this step all six bolts, two on top and four at the bottom (Bolts attaching the mid section to the steering arm.
Completely remove the four bolts at the bottom
Engine weight is supported by the two loose top bolts and the hoist at this point.
Remove the top bolts be careful and apply enough lifting strength on the hoist, Note the engine will tend to try and swing have someone hold it during this process (if you can use and very long extention and be inside the the boat when you remove the top bolts) this way if the engine swings or anything you are safe. Your call
The engine hoist pays for it self during the re installation I simply love it.
In the event you do not have a hoist or can't rent one a floor jack with one inch thick plank 2 cement blocks can work, common sense to boot
Good Luck"

Andrew...Thanks so much! You&#

Andrew...Thanks so much! You've given me more to go on now. I wasn't sure if there was a nut on the bottom of the steering rod..now I know. What "cowling" are you referring to?....the engine cover? I have an engine hoist so this should work out OK.

Gonna give it a try this weekend. I'll definetly change the water pump since I'll have the lower unit off. Now I guess I can start looking for the replacement steering arm. I guess that's the expensive part.

Cowling I refered to is the en

Cowling I refered to is the engine cover. As for the steering arm you can check Criagslist or Ebay.
Remember don't force the bolts take your time if really rusted remove the little side cover you will expose the lower engine rubber mounts they are screwed into keep soaking and let the bolts cool during turns last thing you wanted to do the to snap em then you in trouble.
You may want to locate the arm first then do your repair.
My engine is a 1987 140 and every year I remove one bolt at a time and lube it.
Lesson learn when I had to replace my steering arm none of the bolts came off easy

"OK...removed all the bolts fr

"OK...removed all the bolts from the lower unit. Have about a 1/2 inch gap all the way around the lower unit. Looks like the shift arm has to be disconnected....is this correct? If so, is there an easy way to disconnect the shift arm?"

"Yes a long extension and swiv

"Yes a long extension and swivel on it to remove the screw it has a slot for a flat screw driver and a head for a socket also , its directly below the carb manifold / throttle body drop the lower cowling is the last resort if you can't remove it
go to www.ishopmarine.com navigate to your engine and check out the diagrams it will help big time in place of a manual."

"Finally got the lower unit to

"Finally got the lower unit to drop. Actually, all I needed to do was remove the hitch pin from the shifting control, push in on the control rod and the shift rod beacame disconnected.
Had to shake the lower unit like crazy cause it was still stuck a bit, but it finally came out. Will be replacing the water pump and the intake screens while I'm at it.
Everything else is diconnected...now all I have to do is remove the powerhead and pull the steering arm out.
Thanks again for all the help!"

"let us know,..how the 'bu

"let us know,..how the 'bull nut' removal went...that huge nut on st shaft,..........salt wtr eng???"

"Roger here you hopefully this

"Roger here you hopefully this helps you
283161.gif
"

Back