Logo

50GXi swap to 57 Costs

indianareinell

"Well, I'm stuck...I have

"Well, I'm stuck...I have a cracked block on my 2007 5.0 Gxi (long story and don't really want to relive the pain of my poor attempt to winterize). So, here I am...with a new motor with a window on either side of the block. Question, can I swap my intake, exhaust, ECM, ect from my current 5.0 to a 5.7 long block? What issues should I be looking at? I've got a 21ft Reinell w/ the SX-A outdrive w/ a 1.6 gear ratio will it take a 5.7? My hull is rated for 320hp. Also, what should some prices be...my first quote was $7,500 for a new 5.0 block w/ labor and most of my old parts...this seemed a bit high, and my pride is at an all time low ;(

Thanks in advance!!!!"

"most of the parts will swap,I

"most of the parts will swap,I think the ECM will need to be reprogrammed as the 5.7 has higher fuel requirements, yea the drive will take the 5.7 just fine. i think 7500's a little high but marina prices have jumped, there is a lot of labor required, the 5.7 long block prices are from 1500-2500+ depending on where it's purchased from. I'd say about 15-25 hours labor depending on the boat."

"$7,500 is out of line, IMO.

"$7,500 is out of line, IMO.
Look into MichiganMotorz.com

Yes, the over-all gear ratio is correct.
The drive will definitely handle the 5.7L.

And do not use the 5.0L cylinder heads on the 5.7L without further investigation. You DO NOT want the wrong size combustion chamber heads on this new S/B.... not until you determine which pistons have been used.
If you have a choice.... go with a Quench style piston and the appropriate cylinder head combustion chambers.

It's not quite as critical on a small boat like yours, but if this were a cruiser..... it's a very good suggestion.

."

"Thanks for the replies, after

"Thanks for the replies, after a lot of shopping around, I got it down to $6400 out the door with everything done for a new Volvo 5.0 long block. The costs of upgrading was taking me over the top (adding in new injectors, fuel pump considerations, programming the ecm, ect.) Life lesson learned the hard way."

"My gosh, Dan... MichiganMotor

"My gosh, Dan... MichiganMotorz.com has the complete 5.7L Vortec FI engine, fuel pumps, closed cooling system (Ya won't crack another engine, Dan!
blush.gif
), Circ Pump, sea water pump, alternator, pulleys, exhaust manifolds, etc.... for $7,699.

,[url]http://www.michiganmotorz.com/images/DSCN4115-Small.jpg" [/url]

Here is a list of what all is included:

5.7L Vortec base marine engine (standard rotation)
Multi-port fuel injection intake manifold
MEFI IV computer / controller
Stainless-steel flexible fuel lines (U.S.C.G. approved)
Hi and low pressure fuel pumps (U.S.C.G. approved)
Oil pressure switch, oil sending unit, knock sensor, misc sensors
Electronic ignition (Electronic distributor w/ coil, spark plug wires, spark plugs, etc)
14" INBOARD flywheel, bell housing & dampner plate
Center-rise exhaust manifolds with 4" risers
Throttle bracket, throttle clip and quick connect ball joint
70 amp alternator, bracket, and tensioner (U.S.C.G. approved)
High torque top or bottom mount starter (U.S.C.G. approved)
MPI Engine wire harness with universal ten pin plug
Water/fuel separator
Crank driven seawater pump
Dual remote oil filter setup
Thermostat housing w/ thermostat
Adjustable engine motor mounts
Flame arrester and weather cover
Dip stick tube, dip stick and EZ oil drain hose
Corrosion resistant black urethane paint
ALL pulleys, hoses, belts installed
MPI diagnostic tool
Two year limited warranty

Click here to view on web page:
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/5.7L+Complete+Engine+Package+FUEL+INJECTION+%28INB OARD+OR+V-DRIVE+Replacement%29

They offer a NEW 5.0L Vortec long block w/ tin ware for $2,699.
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/images/DSCN3315-Small.jpg"

I assume that your 5.0L is the Vortec??? Yes/No?
Maybe give a call and see what they want for a Pre-Vortec engine!

It's your money... I'm just trying to help you keep some of it.
happy.gif
"

Back