Logo

Need help to remove a prop

terry32506

"Hello, has anyone encountered

"Hello, has anyone encountered a problem trying to remove a prop on one of the older 4 hp mercs? Mine is about a 1970-71 model..I have tried to free up the tooth washer thats on the shaft which im not sure why thats there because the nut is self locking therfor just a flat washer should be sufficient unless im missing something here??...Anyways I just cant budge that washer no how , I have removed the teeth on the inner part of the washer used enough W D 40 to take a rusted nut and bolt apart and from what I can see there is no rust, even the lock nut is in good shape. I have even tried to cut the washer to attempt to pry it off but no way it just wont budge...It seems like the washer has bonded to something behind it, perhaps another washer and then to the shaft, I just dont know..I can push the prop back and forth which I believe is spring loaded but I would have never thought that a washer would be holding all of this in tight especially when I have given the prop enough hits it should have popped off by now...Im out of ideas at this point to try so if anyone has had this problem before or know of the fix I would appreciate it very much to have some input on what I could try next.

Thanks guys,

Terry"

"If the prop has been on for y

"If the prop has been on for years there is a good chance that everything has (welded) together with corrosion.

You can try some heat (propane torch) or sometimes you can jury rig a gear puller to help out, but in the end the only way to get it off may be to cut it off the propshaft with a grinder..."

"Hi Graham , thanks for your i

"Hi Graham , thanks for your input, the heat might do the trick but as you said a good chance its all welded together and thats what I appears to have done..Next question if im forced to cut it off obviously I will need to get another prop. Know of any suppliers for some used props for these old mercs? I want to try and stay away from buying a new prop if possible."

"Check Ebay, some good deals t

"Check Ebay, some good deals there. If not, you can get ahold of www.twincityoutboards.com - a decent recycler that has "everything"
"

"Hi again guys , ok I got my l

"Hi again guys , ok I got my little 4 hp merc running great however when I took it out on my little 8' flat bottom punt I was dissapointed that I couldnt get it to plane up...Im thinking that the problem is the height of the transom versus the length of the shaft..The transom height measures 13 1/2 inches and the measurement from the motor bracket to the cavitation plate is just under 18"..I think that is a long shaft or is it a short shaft and im thinking that its too low therfor not getting the boat planed up..What I need to know I guess is is this motor a short or long shaft and if there is a work around to getting this little punt to plane? A lack of hp maybe? The motor runs at full throttle nicely but just wont plane. I use to have a 6 hp johnson on a springbok 9 1/2' flat bottom and it planed beautifully and plenty of speed..Anyways I have leaned more towrads needing more hp and would like to get another 6 hp johnson so I have listed the merc online for sale but as mentioned earlier I would still like to know if anyone knows of a work around to my problem and have a fix.I look forward to hearing your input.

Photos of the motor are available if required.

Thanks very much,

Terry"

"Ya I know its not a powerhous

"Ya I know its not a powerhouse motor but enough to plane a boat like mine if all is set correctly which I found out not long ago that the motor shaft is wayyyyy too low so I need to do a height adjustment on the transom and all should be just fine
happy.gif
"

Back