Logo

Crusader will fire and start briefly but wonbt stay running

herdbull

"I had my carb rebuilt this wi

"I had my carb rebuilt this winter and put them back on the boat this spring. They fired right up when I put the boat in the water last weekend. My slip is about 25 minutes through a no wake channel away from where I was put in. the engines both ran flawlessly all the way to my slip. No missing, no spittin or sputterin. I put the boat in the slip and went to breakfast. When I came back I went to start the starboard engine and it wouldn't start. Technically, I guess it is starting for a brief second but then stalls. The port engine starts and runs fine. The starboard engine will fire and start long enough to disengage the bendix on the starter but then stall regardless to whether or not I pump the throttle. I suspected my fuel pump had quit. So I took the flame arrestor off and held the butterfly open on the carb and pump the throttle and I could see gas injecting into the carb. So, I guess the fuel pump is still working. The ignitions were changed over to electronic ignitions before I bought the boat. I have a hard time believing it is plugs and wires because I change those last spring and when I brought the boat to the slip it ran great. Anybody got any ideas????"

Sounds like the classic burned

Sounds like the classic burned out ignition ballast resistor. It allows ignition only when cranking. Do you have one of these?

Right! Had the same problem o

Right! Had the same problem once. Rebuilt the carb a few times before I found the ballast resistor connector had fallen out. Invented a few new words that day!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff and Dave! I wasn&

Thanks Jeff and Dave! I wasn't aware of these but I bet you are right. I certainly used a few words that I can't repeat also.

Unfortunately I won't be back up to the boat until next Thursday to check out the ignition ballast resistor. Are they hard to change? Are they hard to find the right parts at marinas?

Thanks again. This website is great. You guys are very helpful.

Jim

"You will probably find it has

"You will probably find it has easy to change spade connectors and will swap out in less than 4 minutes DEPENDING on where it is mounted. Mine ( before re-power ) was dangling next to the heat exchanger....Other locations may prove to require more bending and twisting, I don't have one any more......whew"

"Jim:

You can jumper the co

"Jim:

You can jumper the coil with 12 volts to the + post and see instantly if this is the problem. Just for a brief test, though, or it would cook the coil.

Jeff"

"Jim:

in your original post

"Jim:

in your original post you indicated the ignition systems are now electronic. I can't say I've seen a ballast resistor used on a full electronic ignition setup.

You still need to see battery voltage (+12V) on the + side of the coil when the key is on (and during cranking. You can use a test light or a meter for this. If the old points system wiring was used, you may still have a feed from the main starter solenoid providing the +12V during cranking if the key switch (or its purple wire going back to the coil) is bad.

If all that is ok but the engine still won't run, unplug the tachometer (usually a gray lead, on the "-" side of the coil, going into the harness) and see what happens."

"Do vintage 1989-1990 Crusader

"Do vintage 1989-1990 Crusader 454s with Prestolite electronic ignition have these ballast resistors? If they do, where are they located and what are they wired between, electrically? I am not having any engines problems now, but just info for the future.

Thanks,
Erich"

"Erich; my schematic shows no

"Erich; my schematic shows no ballast on the V8/Prestolite, but the V6 does use one. The Delco does not show one either."

Back