Logo

Petronix ignition

rcahill31

Regular Contributor
"I replaced this ignition syst

"I replaced this ignition system and went back to the old points, rotor, distributor cap, condenser and it starts and runs great for a 1988 cobra 5.7, we launched today and when it was docked could hear water trinkling so as far as I could see and feel it seemed to be coming in above the drain plug, I had pulled the outdrive and did the greasing and etc., bellows seemed okay, put on new gasket and put it together without any problem at the time but I must have fouled up to have a leak which I had not before, any ideas what to check for, could a transom seal go bad during lay up?"

"'88 5.7, had the same pro

"'88 5.7, had the same problem on another OMC 5.0L about the same year. I worked on it Last year the Y pipe was corroded at the bottom, had to remove the engine to replace. I thought it was the shift cable hose because it was in the same place but it wasn't, I still have the big shift cable hose new in the package if you need one, let me know.

I removed the engine and drive and I found a glass jar that fit the opening of the upper bellows then backed the boat in the water and found the leak, you may be able to seal it with some 3M 5200 or something similar, I know the pipe new is about $300.

PS there is a change that OMC recommends NOT re-installing the Flappers in the new pipe. there was a note in the box we got."

"[i]found a glass jar that fit

"found a glass jar that fit the opening of the upper bellows then backed the boat in the water and found the leak
thumbs_up.gif
- Neat!!!

I'll bet that boat sat pretty high in the water with no engine/drive in it."

"yea.. got lucky with the jar,

"yea.. got lucky with the jar, was a good time to keep it strapped to the trailer.

I was surprised to find the corrosion on the Y Pipe, an entire corner was gone, I dont know how much the boat was trailered though, it didn't seem like an electrolosis issue. i think it was more of a dis-similar metal issue between the SS bolt and the Cast Alum.?"

Back