Logo

Positive or negative ground

Want to replace the stereo in

Want to replace the stereo in my 2001 Tahoe Q3 stern drive but need to know if my boat is a positive or negative ground system. Any help will be very much appreciated.

"Should be negative ground ,yo

"Should be negative ground ,you can check the neg. battery cable to see if it goes directly to the engine block."

"ALL US Cars and Boats should

"ALL US Cars and Boats should be Negative Ground.
I know the 01 Tahoes, and they are negative ground."

Mark:

You need to find out

Mark:

You need to find out if the old stereo used floating grounds on the speakers; it probably does. Use the wiring schematic when installing the new stereo. Microprocessor amplifiers don't like their outputs being grounded to the chassis ground which is not a floating ground. Combining floating grounds is also a big NO NO

"Thanks guys. The reason I&#39

"Thanks guys. The reason I'm checking is that we bought the boat last fall knowing that the stereo did not work. When I turn it on it seems like it wants to work but fades in and out, mostly out. Have acquired a different stereo but wanted to check the ground situation before I install it. Was thinking the stereo already in the boat may just be installed wrong."

Thanks for the help.........My

Thanks for the help.........My son changed out the stereo for me while at work and everything works great.

Back