Logo

8HP MARINER OUTER PROP SEAL

anddoh

"HI ALL, I HAVE AN 8HP MARINER

"HI ALL, I HAVE AN 8HP MARINER 97 MODEL WITH GEARS ON TILLER.
COULD SOMEONE HELP ME WITH AN EQUIVALENT OUTER PROP SEAL NUMBER AS THE NEAREST DEALER IS OVER 80 MILES AWAY. THANKS."

"Not exactly sure what you are

"Not exactly sure what you are referring to - what number from the diagram below?

282166.jpg
"

"THANKS GRAHAM, I HAD WATER IN

"THANKS GRAHAM, I HAD WATER IN THE OIL WHEN I EMPTIED IT SO I THOUGHT IT WAS THE SEAL #58 WHICH IS BEHIND THE THRUST WASHER #64. I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THERE WAS ANOTHER SEAL #57, SHOULD I REPLACE BOTH. THANKS, MARALYN."

"58 and 57 (one is called

"58 and 57 (one is called an oil seal the other just a "seal") could be bad - they sell for about 12 bucks each. I would also suspect 55 which is the o-ring that seals the bearing carrier (another few bucks).

For just over 40 bucks, Merc has a (complete) lower unit seal kit (part number 26-41365A3) that contains all those, plus a new waterpump base and seals (incase that is where the leak it).

Well worth it in my opinion - here's what you get...

282183.jpg

Do you actually have water in the lower, or is your oil simply "milky".

While milky is not good, depending where you live that may be somewhat normal. In Canada where I am, because of the drastic temperature swings between winter and summer it's next to impossible to keep a lower unit properly sealed - just too much expansion/contraction of the gear case. In that environment, milky is kinda normal - offset by changing the gear oil at least once a year.

However, if you have water in the lower, then it must be addressed."

"Thanks Graham,
I live in a

"Thanks Graham,
I live in a sub tropical climate and yes the oil was milky it came out like white paint but no water unmixed with oil if thats what you mean.
Does the complete lower unit seal kit come with instructions of how to disassemble and reassemble the lower unit, if not would you know where can i find out.
Thanks Maralyn."

"No, it will just be the parts

"No, it will just be the parts. If your email address is good I can send you a pdf file on the lower unit for this model."

Back